Vanguard 2 .243

C7AR15

Anybody willing to share their favorite accuracy load for the .243. We have stock rifle Target matches here for 100 and 200 yards.

PS : For the price I think that the Weatherby Vanguard rifles are one of the best Value buys out there. A 1 inch MOA accuracy guarantee, good trigger, reliable extractor, good looks.....

Rancid

I'm interested too! My neighbor just purchased a .243 S2 over the weekend and he will be saving his brass. :D

I have 4 Vanguards (both old and new models), .223, .257, 6.5 CM, and .30-06 and they all shoot < 1 MOA.

Last edited:

C7AR15

70 grain, but..

I have a couple boxes of 70g Noslers, but I am looking for a common load that is used in the .243

Say i was asking about the .308 , I would recommend 168 gr. Sieera MK with 44 gr of Varget. This would be a good starting point.

Geo_Erudite

Vanguard 2's have a 1:10 twist rate. If you start looking at certain target bullets for the .243 you need to be cognizant of that fact. You don't need to worry about that with 70 grain bullets.

Last edited:

AllenJ

I have a S2 in 243, it is a very accurate hunting rifle and has quickly become my favorite for deer hunting. My most accurate load in it to date is using 80 grain Barnes TTSX bullets, IMR4350, and CCI 200 primers. I'm using Remington brass that I have uniformed the primer pockets and turned the necks on. The rifle has shot multiple sub .5 MOA groups with that load. Another load I liked in it was using 95 grain Berger VLD Hunting bullets and again, IMR4350. That load shoots MOA or better in my rifle.

I've tried 4 different powders in the rifle, IMR4350 is by far the most accurate.

When I did shoot my littl' 243.
Annealed S/B sized. {first /fire} Federal brass were the chosen ones. Alcan primers touched off that 48.7 grs. of fresh IMR 4831. Having 70 or 75 grain Hornady (w/no crimp) seated.
Of all the different powders I experimented with in the Dupont/IMR brand from 3031 to 4831 and everything else # in-between. Only one.
>4831< gave me the tightest grouping at 200 yrds. That old Ruger M-77 Flat Bolt can punch holes all day long 3/4" low of dead center at 100 yrds. Dead center bullseye at 200 without dial adjustment. Clover leaf groupings were routinely observed at 100 yrds and over time expected to see whenever I took the rifle shooting.
Still have the Flat Bolt. Don't shoot it much. Sometime ago retired to a spot in the safe. Only because I moved up to a 270 win & a 1/4 bore 06 for my shooting applications.

gw44

I have a Ruger #1 243 win .70 groups all day with barnes ttsx 80gr bullets at 100yrs, 4831 powder and boy does it do the job on deer, bang flop DRT !! :)

Stillhunter

For my 70gr Nosler ballistic tip,I use 46.5 of IMR4350, 9 1/2 Rem primer,under 1in MOA.:)

Hodgdon and Nosler don,t list the 4831,until they get to the 80gr and above.

Might have to give it a try.

Maybe i can get it to .5.:D

T. O'Heir

There is no 'accuracy load' that applies to all rifles. You must work up the load for your rifle.
No$ler gives the accuracy load for a 70 grain VARMINT bullets(not target or deer bullets) in a 24", 1 in 10 barrel was 38.0 to 42.0(C) of Varget. The 'C' indicates a compressed load. Nothing to worry about.
Always found the accuracy load given in any manual as the best place to start. Usually stopped there as well.
"...the .308...168 gr. Sierra MK with..." IMR4064. snicker.

Jack O'Conner

This load will shoot them practically on top of each other at 100 yards:

- 85 grain Sierra bullet
- 44.0 grs. IMR 4350
- Remington 9 1/2 primer

My rifle shots a muzzle velocity of 3,263 FPS with this loading.

Good shooting to you.

Jack