Valve ear plugs as HD accessory?

Evan Thomas

Has anyone used these lately? I'm looking at, for instance, the Peltor Combat Arms Earplugs -- I'm thinking they'd be an excellent accessory, in the nightstand, for the bedroom shotgun. I've seen discussions here of using the electronic muffs for this, but I like the idea of something that doesn't have batteries to run out, and that I don't have to fiddle with a little on/off switch at a moment when, yes, I expect my hands might be a little shaky... just shove the yellow ends in the ears, and I'm good to go.

Given that there has to be a time lag, no matter how small, before the valve cuts in, I'm not sure I'd want to depend on them for general use, but for $10-$12, these seem like a good solution for HD ear protection.

Opinions?

chickenman

In all HD situations I would only grab a gun (and light maybe) buddy. Everything else is just not needed.

My opinion

Citizen Carrier

I can't say that I'd remember to put those things in during a moment of possible "excitement".

I bought a nice set of electronic earmuffs at Camp Perry during the matches. Worked very well for me there and I could clearly make out what people were saying even 5 lanes away.

Not to mention the wire jack built in so I can plug in a walkman or cd player. Can't wait to try that out when I get back.

grymster2007

but I'm rethinking it. I know too much about hearing loss.

I'm 'bout half deaf and some of it due to firearms, but I'm not going to fiddle with earplugs or muffs when the BG is in the house. Better the BG loses his hearing completely (among with most other body functions) and me being 3/4 deaf, than to burn even 2 seconds employing hearing protection. And given the likelihood of ever having to be in that situation is nearly zero, it's not worth it to me.

Evan Thomas

Yes, of course, it's entirely likely that when push comes to shove, grabbing ear protection is going to be low on the list.

But I was asking for opinions about how well a specific type of product actually works, from people who've used them. I'm sorry if my original post wasn't clear about this.

IZinterrogator

The Combat Arms Earplugs stink. I've had to use them in the Army for about four years now and they are terrible. Their decibal reduction is too low for what they are intended for. I would buy the electronic earmuffs instead. They're quicker to get on and they amplify quiet sounds instead of only allowing some of that sound to pass through. Most don't have a small switch, you just grab the good-sized volume knob and turn that to activate them.

chickenman

Im young myself and under 34 but man....loose eerything and gain what you "need". Keep those muffs on at all ranges but never look for them in a bad ****uation for sure.

cheers

sholling

I keep my electronic muffs by my bed. I can hear a gnat fart in the next room with those things and they protect ears.

wmeSha

I picked up a pair of those earplugs for hunting last season, and I thought they were okay. I'll admit that I only used them outside, but I could hear sounds reasonably well and they dampened firearm noise (not as well as foam plugs but satisfactorily). I have my pair beside my home defense gun and if there was time I'd grab them; even if they don't work "great," less hearing damage is better than more.

Guntalk

Valve type earplugs should be thrown in the trash can. Seriously.

You are actually better off with cheap foam plugs.

Electronic muffs (or plugs) are even better.

We just had this discussion in a shooting school Thursday and Friday.

HowardCohodas

NIHL - Noise Induced Hearing Loss

While doing some research I came across some information useful to shooters:
sensitive structures in our inner ear can be damaged, causing noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL). These sensitive structures, called hair cells, are small sensory cells in the inner ear that convert sound energy into electrical signals that travel to the brain. Once damaged, our hair cells cannot grow back.

Scientists once believed that the pure force of vibrations from loud sounds caused the damage to hair cells. Instead, recent studies have shown that exposure to harmful noise triggers the formation of molecules inside the ear that can damage or kill hair cells.

In a recent study, however, the antioxidants in salicylate (aspirin) and Trolox (vitamin E) were given to guinea pigs as long as three days after noise exposure and still significantly reduced hearing loss. These results suggest that there is a window of opportunity in which it is possible to rescue hearing from noise trauma. Scientists hope to begin clinical trials with humans with the goal of reducing NIHL.

The entire article can be found at the National Institute of Health. http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/noise.asp

farnorthdan

Use all your senses

As replied in another thread: I count hearing as one of my very best senses especially in a night/dark home invasion. I want to be able to hear were that sucker is and get the drop on him. I ain't worried about a little hearing loss, I'm worried about protecting my family.

DS