value slugs for 870

IronBalls

have an 870 express magnum smoothbore 18.5"
want to stock up on slugs for target and defense/battle

what are your thoughts on shooting lots of slugs through a standard 870 barrel? Should i get a thicker/stronger slug barrel?

Go rifled slugs, or smooth? (worried about barrel life, as i have the vangcomp setup and dont want to beat up the barrel)

Looking for something i can buy up in bulk at a good price that will meet all my goals (target, fun, bad mammajamma battle round)-

(the vangcomp and knoxx system have encouraged me to load up on heavy stuff)

thanks

Hello123

For a smoothbore get a rifled slug. You will never wear out a barrel using slugs from a cylinder bore. As far as the least expensive slug, I don't know. Just buy a pack of 5 everytime you go to the store. Dispersing the cost this way makes it less painful.

Romulus

The cheapest slugs I found are also the best in my 870 slugster, the Rottweil Brennekes, for a buck fifty for a box of five at Gander Mountain.

DPris

Member Emeritus
You can't improve on a Vang Comp gun for general utility with both slugs & buckshot, and there's nothing to worry about in shooting slugs through it. A "slug" barrel would be rifled, and removes the buckshot option.
Denis

mgdavis

I found Remington "Slugster" 2 3/4" foster slugs for about 6.50/15 at WalMart.
Best price I've found in limited looking around.

sjstill

I'm real fond of the Fiocchi low recoil slugs. Work well in my 870 w/standard 18.5" barrel. I got a case of 250 for about 155.00 locally.

I've got to give the Brennekes a go, too.

IronBalls

just went to wally to see what they have,... spent $200 on other ammo,... (they were out of slugs)....

will keep looking online for good deals i guess

IronBalls

What a day: 150 rounds birdshot/clay shooting. 20 rifled slugs. No sore shoulder. Vangcomp bbl treatment, and knoxx specops... what an awesome day. the recoil was slight, and i shot more that i ever was able to tollerate before (ran out of ammo, not shoulder)...

love this combo

sjstill

Wanted to try one of those Knoxx stocks, but I heard somewhere that you can't use the Vang Dome safety with them. Something about the travel on the PG.

IronBalls

Another trip to Wally World- $15 for 100rds winchester birshot (300rds for me, 100 for pops)...

this vang'd specops 870 (regular express) is really renewing my love for the shotgun.... (sjs, use the standard safety, not the oversized, and your set)... with just an 10"bbl i kill clays all day at any point along the arch... (shooting another stock 870 side by side, i found the bbl treatment really does tighten groups...

after wally, ammoman fixed me up...
Fed. Reduced RecoilL 250rds slugs $149, 250rds 00B $149 Delivered-

Plus I recently ordered an FN SLP and talked to Knoxx, that they are soon to produce their specops for it...

Shotgun baby... its all about the Ironballs (or lead ones to be specific)