Value of SW 19-3 Nickel

Dirty_Harry

What kind of money do these bring? I have someone offering to trade one for my Ruger Gunsite Scout. I am very interested, but I dont think its worth as much as my rifle. Am I wrong?

Thanks.

WVsig

Can't say be cause condition is everything on a used gun especially a nickel one IMHO. They are a love it or hate it kind of thing. Some will pay extra for it some will pay less. I personally do not think nickel wears as well as blue. YMMV

Don P

Be sure the S&W in indeed a factory nickel finish. The frame under the grips should have a N stamped on it and the trigger and hammer should not be nickel plated. To answer the question on worth my opinion you should also get cash and the revolver in the deal. I don't think the S&W is worth the $900 the scout go's for

Joe_Pike

I sold one a couple of years ago, in the box, in very good condition, for $375. It took me a while to get it sold, too. Everyone said it should have brought more than that, but it sure wasn't worth $800-$900.

Elerius

The prices I always see quoted are not reality if you're using Gunbroker. I consistently see prices of auction much higher then what I read a gun is worth. I recently saw an unfired 19-3 factory nickel with bids on it for $1200. Didn't see what it sold for. Another (not sure which dash, but it was pinned and recessed) in pretty good condition with bids for $700.

I have zero knowledge of the Scout you speak of, but if it's worth $900, then it would be worth it if the 19 is in excellent or new condition if you go by Gunbroker prices.

BigJimP

I have several S&W revolvers in Nickel...including a pair of 19's ( a dash 3 and a dash 4 ...both 4" )....but they were made in 2 1/2" and 6" as well...

The Nickel finish will wear a lot better in and out of a holster than a blued finish will on these old revolvers. I routinely shoot my S&W revolvers - in and out of Kramer horsehide leather holsters....and none of my Nickel guns show any holster wear - and I can't say that about my blued versions ( in 19's or 27's )...

If the 19-3 is a 4" Nickel...in my area, in excellent condition - its worth around $ 750 - $ 800 - but it wouldn't surprise me to see it listed at $ 900. In a 6", its probably $ 150 - $ 200 less ....2 1/2" is probably $ 100 less than the 4"....

Condition is everything on these revolvers...if the screws are buggered up price goes down / if the grips or stocks are wrong or beat up price goes down ....
-----------
Model 19's are K frames...../ model 27's are N frames...and there is a big price jump to 4" model 27's in Nickel where they're easily demanding $1,000 - $ 1,200 in excellent condition.

I like the K frame and the N frame.../ while I have thousands of rounds thru my model 19's ( all 158gr .357 mag ) ....I shoot the model 27's a lot more ...the model 27's are my favorite S&W revolver...and a 4" Nickel is a special gun in my view.

Last edited: