Value of SA vs DA pistols in Bulls eye

L. Boscoe

I have a nice Tanfoglio Stock Master bull barrel 45 which I shoot
my soft loads in. It is a DA/SA action, and Tanfoglio offers a version of it that is SA only.
I also shoot 1911 45, and I can see the virtue in SA.
Is it worth it to get the SA/DA converted to SA? I can see less
trigger take-up, and maybe a different trigger feel. It would cost
a lot less to pay a gunsmith to convert the one I own vs buying
the SA only ($1800!)

expendable

In bullseye you will be shooting the gun in SA all of the time not from DA. What would you gain by converting it ?
A lot of people shoot the Beretta M9 in the EIC matches it’s DA/SA, doesn’t seem to hold them back.

Last edited:

Scorch

A single action only trigger is generally cleaner and crisper. That's one reason so many people shoot 1911s and not any one of a number of DA/SA guns. In target work, trigger consistency is very important if you want to be in the winners circle. Whether it's worth converting a DA/SA to SAO is a call for you to make.

44 AMP

Staff
Generally speaking, a DA/SA semi auto will be cocked (SA mode) when you load it.

Until & unless you decock the gun (via decocker/safety or manually lowering the hammer) you're in SA mode.

Getting the gun converted to SA only? why? If you don't want to shoot DA, simply don't.

IF you think you're going to get a different SA trigger out of it, think CAREFULLY, about what will be done. The simplest way to disable the DA function is to sever the linkage that allows the trigger to cock the hammer. With some guns, disabling the trigger cocking function only reqires a small mod to one part or sometimes two, and changes nothing else.

HOWEVER, if you have the entire mechanism replaced with an SA (only) mechanism, then you get something new, and its pull may, or may not be superior to what you had.

IT might be possible to have the factory SA trigger system fitted into your DA/SA gun, turning it into (essentially) the factory SA gun. However, you need to talk to the factory about that.

About any competent gunsmith can disable the da feature. Replacing the triggger mechanism with a different one, is another matter.

What I'm trying to say is that simply disabling the DA trigger function will not give you a 1911A1 style trigger pull. Doing that requires new, different parts,

And, additionally, its not JUST the SA style trigger pull that makes a gun more "shootable" but the QUALITY of the SA pull. You don't get a quality trigger pull from using an SA design of trigger. You get a quality trigger pull from a quality design and execution of an SA design trigger.

jetinteriorguy

Not sure if this directly relates to your particular situation, but I’ve had CZ75’s in both SA/DA and SA only and the difference in shooting both in SA is substantial. I kept the SA only and it’s my best shooting 9mm.

Jim Watson

The SAO triggers on CZs and TZs are really nice but they are also really light.
NRA Precision (bullseye) has a minimum trigger pull for .45 automatics of 3 1/2 lbs.
You would have to impress upon the gunsmith that you did not want the IPSC sub 2 lb trigger.

L. Boscoe

thanks for all the replies. I have a SA and a DA CZ, both seem to have about the same "wall", but the DA in SA use has a longer travel. I think I may be
wasting time worrying about something a really good shooter would be concerned about, so not applicable in my case

Nathan

Tanfoglio Stock Master bull barrel 45

I think most of your answers are not related to this exact pistol. I think it is similar to the CZ75, which gains a great deal of improvement going to sao.

I’d start by asking these folks what is needed and if they do the work…. LINK