Value of S&W 38-44 HD?

Joe_Pike

I'm thinking (just thinking right now) about selling my 1937 S&W 38-44 HD. I don't shoot it and I have really got it in my mind that I want to pay off my house as quick as I can, so, I could use the proceeds to put towards the principle.

The gun itself is, I would say, in at least 95% condition. It has the pre-War Magna grips and all numbers match, including the grips. This is the only one in my area that I have seen, so, looking for a current value locally is out of the question. I know I could check GB, but sometimes I wonder about auction sites when it comes to real world values of certain items. So, I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on what these might be going for.

FlyFish

95% condition equates to "Excellent" in SCSW. A pre-war .38/44 HD in excellent condition is listed at $750 in the book, but prices have climbed considerably in the 5 years since the book was published. Assuming excellent or better, I'd say you're easily in the $1000 neighborhood, perhaps more if you hold out for the right buyer.

carguychris

+2, I would say $700-$1200 depending on options; if it has blued finish and the standard 5" barrel, value will be towards the low end of the range, while nickel finish and the relatively uncommon 4" or 6-1/2" barrel will push it towards the high end. FlyFish is right, these guns seem to be pretty hot with collectors right now, particularly in high condition.

mes227

There are several on GunBroker right now, with "buy it now" prices in the $600+/- range for average condition revolvers. The condition of yours is going to make a lot of difference (any chance you can post pix? Some of us would love to see it!) and at a true 95% I'd say the price would easily be over $1,000 if you're not in a hurry. Also if you have the original box or any documentation, that adds a little to the price.

Peter M. Eick

600 to 1000 unless it is an odd barrel length.

3_barrel_lengths.jpg

Here are the 3 main barrel lengths in the pre-war 38/44 HDS.

Supposedly there were about 100 4" made (I have 2 now).
Supposedly there were about 28 6.5" made (I have two of those also).
There were about 11,000 give or take 5" made (I have around 20 of them).

I am a 38/44 collector. If you want to shoot me an email with a picture I can give you a better estimate or if you are interested we can talk.

Joe_Pike

It's a 5" barrel. I'll have to retrieve it and take some photos. I have several of my more prized firearms locked up in a more secure location.