Value of mod 28?

irish52084

I'm looking at buying an S&W mod 28 from a local gentleman and it seems to be in 85-90% condition. He's asking $450, a price drop from $500 he was asking before. I also see a newer 4" 686 going for $575 and wonder if there's really any reason to buy the 686 over the mod 28?

aarondhgraham

Aren't they different frame sizes?,,,

The Model 686 is an L-frame revolver,,,
The Model 28 is the larger N-frame revolver.

One might fit your hand better than the other.

Aarond

irish52084

They are different frame sizes, the 686 is an L frame and the 28 is the N frame.

I shot a friends gp-100 last Saturday and I really liked it, so I finally decided it was time for a revolver. Plus, I have a soft spot for the 4" service style revolvers. They just look "cool" to me. I don't plan on carrying either one, just a range toy and maybe as something to take with me when hunting and camping.

Now I just need to buy one of them and sneak it into the house without my wife finding out.:D If I walk in the door with another new gun she's gonna look at me funny.

Capt. Bluto

both great choices.

I have shot both of these firearms and did well with both.. I did better with the 686 though.. See which one fits your hands better,pulls up better, and go from there.. your talking around a hundred bucks difference, do not let that deter you from getting what is best for you...

BigJimP

I own both ....and like both models ...but I think it comes down to whether you want the classic look of the model 28 or the newer model 686. There isn't anything wrong with either one...

But I have a soft spot in my heart for the N frames ( model 27 and 28's ) in
.357 mag... the model 27 was the fancier version of the model 28 ( has a much better finish on it ) - where the model 28 was the "working gun" of the S&W .357 mag N frames.....its just very difficult to imagine my collection without a few of the N frames ...where the 686 to me, is a nice gun, but not a 'great' gun...

I'd go with the model 28 ...and add the 686 later ...( and a model 27 later ) ....etc ...

irish52084

Leaning towards the model 28. I kind of prefer the looks of a blued finish.

On a side note, anyone re-finished their blued pistol before? Would you do it yourself or have it done? Any ideas on cost to have it done?

44 AMP

Staff
The 686 and the m28 weigh the same (with the same barrel length). They balance differently, because the 686 has more of its weight in the barrel and less in the frame than the Model 28 does.

$450 today is a good price, as M28s have gone up recently. Several I've seen at recent shows have been $500 to $575.

I have several M28s and personally don't care for the feel (balance) of the 686. You might be different. Handle them both, and see.

BigJimP

If you refinish the model 28 ...( if you care about its value ) ...it'll diminish the value significantly ...even if its done by S&W ( could easily reduce it to
$ 250 / even if its done well ) ...and less, even if its done well / but different than the original S&W matte blued finish by some erd party.

Cost to refinish a gun .....depends on who does it ...but $ 300 will get it done often - but again, its a bad idea - unless you don't care about resale value !

If that gun is really 85% - 90% then its valued about right at around $ 450 - $ 500 in my area / but prices are all over the board on N frame S&W's - especially model 27's ( .357 mag) - where prices are commonly near $1,000 especially in Nickel.

trex1310

I think the price on the M28 is reasonable. If you refinish the gun
you will destroy its resale value. A S&W reblue job will cost you
$250 - $300 + shipping. The M28 is one of the best .357 magnums
ever made. It will handle any and all .357 magnums with ease.
Here is one that I have. It is a 6" that has never been fired, circa
1982:

SW_M28-2-unf_2.jpg

irish52084

I went ahead and bought the 28. It's in very good condition, the finish is good, lock up is tight and it has an excellent trigger. I really didn't expect the trigger to be as good as it is, especially the single action. It's very light and very clean breaking, I'd say less than 3#, it's lighter than my timney rifle trigger and it's break is between 3.5# and 2.75#.

I'm very impressed and think I'm beginning to understand why people like these things.

Scharfschuetzer

Good on you Irish. The 28 will only increase in value and it will be a joy to shoot. It's weight tames the .357 in comparison to smaller and lighter pistols.

sandbag

Good Choice

I have a pre-28 4" and a 28 6"(also a 27 6.5")and I previously had a 586(686 Blued)The 586 never seemed to balance right,
You made an excellent choice-the 27/28 revolvers and their pre-model # versions are my favorite 357's hands down.
Don't re-finish it.
My pre-28 has some scratches-I just leave it alone.

madcratebuilder

irish52084 said:
I really didn't expect the trigger to be as good as it is, especially the single action. It's very light and very clean breaking, I'd say less than 3#,

Typical for the S&W N frame revolver. Now you need it's more attractive sister, the Model 27.

pair02.jpg

jad0110

I went ahead and bought the 28. It's in very good condition, the finish is good, lock up is tight and it has an excellent trigger. I really didn't expect the trigger to be as good as it is, especially the single action. It's very light and very clean breaking, I'd say less than 3#, it's lighter than my timney rifle trigger and it's break is between 3.5# and 2.75#.

I'm very impressed and think I'm beginning to understand why people like these things.

Hee hee, watch out, it sounds like you may have contracted the initial symptoms of revolveritis! :p

$450 was a good price, and the 28 is an excellent revolver. I shoot my 4" 28 better than any other handgun I own. As for the finish, I wouldn't mess with it. 28s are supposed to look kinda dull and crappy anyway, that's part of their appeal. :)

irish52084

It has a set of houge rubber grips on it with the finger grooves and I'm not a big fan of them. I'm gonna need to find some nice wood grips for it soon.

I'm sure there a plenty of grips out there to choose from, but what about replacement sights? I'd like to change the front sight to something like a gold bead or maybe a fiber optic. The all black sights tend to wash out and become very difficult to see at one of the ranges I frequent. I had a very nice 1911 with all black sights and they were impossible to use at times at that range.

I won't be messing with the finish. It's not worth the cost and possible loss of value.

Going to try my best to get to the range on Sunday and put some holes in paper.

FairWarning

The M28 is a great workhorse and quite beautiful, although it is outshone by the sexier M27, which can command $850+ even online, higher in stores. And the beautiful, slim M19 is in a similar price range as the M28, but not nearly as tough.

As much as I love the 686, and it is a great lookin' gun, it somehow lacks the soulful aura of the M27. When I get my M27 one day, it will absolutely have the original wood grips and a nice blue finish. It will probably end up being shot less simply because of its unbeatable looks. I would gasp at the thought of even putting such a beauty in a leather holster due to finish wear. Kind of a shame in a way, like having an exotic car that is too beautiful to beat on. But they are rare and valuable. You can always have a beater for everyday shooting.

44 AMP

Staff
I wouldn't change the sights...

If you change the sights (and its a permanent modification) then you lower the value of the gun. I would recommend paint. Enamel model paint in white, orange, dayglo green, what ever you prefer. Just degrease the metal, and paint some on the front sight (and rear blade, if you prefer).

Its not permanent, but it lasts quite a while, and is easy to touch up.

The finish on the Model 28 is called satin blue, and personally, I think it looks better than the high luster blue on the model 27 or 29. TO me, it says, "I mean business!"

bamaranger

no regret

The M28 is a serious .357, one that can be shot plenty w/ any load you desire, and not worry about anything. +1 to the matte finish.

The 28's were named "Highway Patrolman" a no nonsense, heavy duty working revolver, a bit more affordable than the saucy M27.

Congrats on a dandy.