Value of mint Browning Hi Power

L. Boscoe

I good friend was given a Browning Hi Power some years ago-he is not a shooter
and wanted to know its value. New in the box, never fired. I told him to will it to his grandchildren.:cool:

TunnelRat

The Hi Power was in production for decades and certain periods of time have more or less appeal for collectors. Figuring out which model of Hi Power will help determine value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pahoo

Check GunBroker or other auctions

New in the box
That is always debatable but if it is, as you say it is. ........ $800-$1000 .... ;)
And possibly higher as the market right now, is crazy !!!

Be Safe !!!

rodfac

Yeah well...ck on gunbroker...that'll give you the going "asking" price. What they fetched at auction may be a bit lower...and will take add'l research. But you'd have been very lucky to find one for $800 - $1000 two years ago, & I'd jump on it, let alone in today's market which is much higher in that condition. Best regards, Rod

Last edited:

rc

The first question is what vintage? Probably a Mark II or Mark III high power. The 80s ones have small unusable safety and the later 90s ones have a much better extended ambi safety.

I don't think it matters whether it's a MK 2 or Mk 3 -- it's a genuine Browning Hi-Power and, as the saying goes, "They don't make 'em like that any more." Unfired or lightly used, I would venture to guess that a mint example in the box would be worth north of $1,000 at a minimum. Heck, people are paying 50% above MSRP to get one of the new Springfield Armory Hi-Power clones.

highpower3006

Go to Gunbroker and click on the "advanced search". When you get to the window, click on "completed auctions" and type in "Browning Hipower". There are lots of high priced Hipowers listed, but none of them have sold. The only only I saw in a quick glance at the first page was one early one that sold with one bid for $1900, but I strongly suspect that was a shill bid as none of the others in that price range have had any bids at all.

A couple others did sell, one was a nickel plated Kassner HP that was used and it went for $435 and a refinished Belgian MkIII that went for $626.

So, in my opinion, depending on when your friends HP was made is probably going to have the biggest effect on what it is worth. Without good, in focus pictures with decent closeups, I would hazard a guess that ANIB standard MkII or MkIII is probably going to be worth around $1000 with a bit of a premium for a pre MKII post war fixed sight pistol up to a hefty premium for a mint pre war specimen

FrankenMauser

Gunbroker auctions do not reflect real market value.
They reflect what two idiots were willing to fight over at one moment in time.

dogtown tom

FrankenMauser Gunbroker auctions do not reflect real market value.
They reflect what two idiots were willing to fight over at one moment in time.
So.......if its three idiots? How abut five? Twenty?:rolleyes:

Gunbroker or any other auction IS an accurate reflection of "real market value".

Drm50

If you have a nice Browning made in Belgium it is the more desirable pistol. Also the Govt produced models for militaries.
I don’t pay attention to online auctions for one reason. Condition. The auctions are middlemen giving them deniability. Their sellers act like they were home sick the day grading was taught.

FrankenMauser

Oh. I see.
So, $4,291 really is market value for every German-marked Mauser, and every Calico M960 is *actually* worth $3,750.
...Because that's what one sold for on Gunbroker. :rolleyes:

Gunbroker or any other auction IS an accurate reflection of "real market value".
No.
By definition, Gunbroker Sale = Market Value
No.

GB = limited scope auction results for specific examples, purchased by specific idiots.
Not wide-ranging, general market value.

Gun stores that price based on Gunbroker closed auction values are gun stores that go out of business.

---

L. Boscoe: Age and variant matters.
And being an actual Hi-Power.
I've seen a lot of "My buddy has a Hi Power, what is it worth" questions come up in recent years, only for the 'Hi Power' in question to end up being a fixed-sight FEG.

Skans

GB = limited scope auction results for specific examples, purchased by specific idiots.

I once thought the same thing about Rock Island Auction. That the "phone-tards" were stupidly bidding up the prices on guns I wanted. Turns out the phone-tards knew something I didn't. I passed up the following guns I wanted at RIA:

Borchardt C-93: $10,500
Sig AMT $ 5,300

I know that you are very knowledgeable about guns and gun values. But, what I don't know and what you don't know either is just how much "really really rich people" will pay for things they just want.

Skans said:

I know that you are very knowledgeable about guns and gun values. But, what I don't know and what you don't know either is just how much "really really rich people" will pay for things they just want.

It doesn't matter whether or not buyers are idiots. They are buyers, and actual sales are what establish market value. The same is true in real estate. When an appraiser sets a value for a property, they look at "comps" -- the actual recent selling prices of comparable properties in the same community. In an inflated market, the "comps" are going to be inflated prices, but that's what the market value is.

Pahoo

I don't hang your hat on "one" source !!!

I would not hang my hat on this, nor label anyone an "Idiot" for doing so. Let's face it. at one time or another we have all bought, "In-Heat".... ;)

"Most" of the time. I do my homework and reference a number of sources. There are just too many factors that reflect accurate value/pricing. ..... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

FrankenMauser

Real estate comps are a local market valuation tool.
A house in Irwin, Idaho, is not going to be comped with a house in Lexington, Virginia.

The gun market is much more nationalized than real estate, certainly. But there is still local market to factor in, and Gunbroker often only represents prices seen in more expensive markets.

Case in point: Where I live, you don't see bolt-action shotguns. People just don't own them here, which means they don't come up for sale.
A good condition, complete, run of the mill, bolt action shotgun can be priced and sold here for $150-200.
Yet, if you drop into a gun shop in Georgia, Florida, or South Carolina, they can't move the things with a $75 price tag on them. Many of the shops won't even buy them any more.

On Gunbroker, the bolt action shotguns that do sell are typically going for 40-50% (or more) over sticker prices that you'll see in the south.

One Mossberg 395 that sells for $165 on Gunbroker, to some idiot in The Valley above the Plain (who may not be a total idiot and might have been after the magazine and a some spare parts) is not representative of what a seller is likely to get in Athens, GA, or Gainesville, FL.

Hi-Powers fall into a different category, but it has similar issues. Here, for example, a fixed sight, plain Jane Hi-Power is generally going to be purchased as a tool. It won't sell for as much as it would in, say, Minneapolis, where it is mostly a toy.
But pull out a target sight model, and things change. You suddenly get into the territory of toys and Farm Auction guns*, which will bring a higher price (beyond the normal markup for a target model).

Gunbroker pricing doesn't represent all the nuances and influence of local markets. GB auctions are singularities, showing the result of two (or more) idiots that got in a fight over a particular firearm, at a single moment in time, from unknown markets that likely don't represent your own.

*(Like BBQ guns. For dressing up and showing off, but not as fancy as BBQ guns.)

IMtheNRA

If you're a potential seller and are willing to list, sell, and ship, then Gunbroker is the best indicator of the gun's market value. If you're interested only in a local sale, then your only market indicator is what the local gun stores claim to sell them for.

Personally, I found Gunbroker to be the best place to sell guns and the prices I get there beat any local offer or consignment service from my LGSs. So, in my case, it's the only real market value indicator that is useful for me.