Value of M1 carbine

Sid

I am thinking of selling a carbine and would like a ball park estimate of it's value. I am going to post the ad at my gun club.

The serial# is 67598XX, receiver is Underwood,and is in excellent condition. The barrel is Inland Mfg Div, General Motors, 1-45. It is also marked Blue Sky, Arlington, Va. The bore is excellent. There is a 4 hole upper hand guard. The stock has what appears to be a varnish finish. The stock has a few small dings, but no important defect. The carbine has a bayonet lug, adjustable rear sight marked IRCO 7160060. It comes with sling and oiler and 3 government issue 15 round magazines. It is a reliable and excellent shooter. I think the NRA rating would be: FINE.

I don't know how to post pictures. But thanks for any help that you can offer.

Ernest T

Well you picked a good time to sell your carbine. Prices seem to be particularly high right now, possibly due to a recent release of carbines from the CMP, which has stirred a lot of interest.

However, I will tell you that Blue Sky imports have a reputation for being "rode hard and put away wet". They were brought back from Korea where some were well used, and yours sounds like a typical refurbished mix-master. In today's market I'd still say you might be able to get $600 for it if it is in good shape. Some guys would buy it just to strip parts off it. Might as well start high and work your way down if it doesn't sell.

amd6547

Some Blue Sky carbines had the barrel stamped deep enough to bulge the rifling.
But most were marked properly, and I've heard of some coming through in good shape.
My own view is that someday, a blue sky mark will be seen as a minor detraction in an otherwise nice GI carbine.
Around here, it would sell pretty quick for $650. Underwood only made about 500,000 carbines.

highpower3006

What they said. Most carbines went through the upgrade process after WWII. Where yours has a hit on the value, is because of the Blue Sky stamp on the barrel. I am not sure what they used to stamp them, but it sure put a heck of a deep mark.

Around here I would think it would fetch between $600-700. It would help the value a bit if you stripped off the varnish and rubbed some boiled linseed oil on instead. The BLO finish was how they came originally.

peggysue

If only Obama had not stopped importing them from S. Korea. (Blue Skys imports were from S Korea a couple decades ago..) Look on GunBroker

WVsig

Condition and configuration is everything with these guns. I am not an expert but there are guys who are and can tell you the origin of every part. Depending on what is actually on the gun and its condition I would say $600+ these days. Prices are on the rise.

Ibmikey

Underwood did not receive barrels from the"free issue" program but made their own for their use and several other assemblers consequently, the barrel ( like most other parts) has likely been replaced. Blue Sky is a definite NO to most collectors but as previously noted if the barrel is not now out of round the shooter of today may not mind the mark. Prices quoted are correct in today's market for a mixed/import marked shooter grade carbine.