Value of a Browning Hi-Power Practical?

DubC-Hicks

Just wondering how much these things are worth and going for these days? Has adjustable rear sight, and the thing looks to be in near perfect condition. The guy that has it is wanting to trade for my 14.7" CHF Palmetto upper on an Aero precision lower with fde Magpul furniture.

Always wanted a surplus Hi-Power, but if this one is worth it, I might do it.

rodfac

Good gun, the Hi Power. In almost new condition they're going for ~$900 on Gunbroker. I paid that recently, and got a good one...fixed sights on mine. HTH's Rod

DubC-Hicks

Here's one pic of it. Seems to be in very good shape. He said its all original except he removed the mag disconnect, which he still has.

Attachments

• photo0.jpg
    photo0.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 305
That's a 1994 Browning Hi-Power Practical. It is a discontinued but not uncommon model. Probably $800-900 in new condition if you were willing to wait awhile to sell. Sell it immediately, maybe $650-750.

jetinteriorguy

Beautiful looking piece. Hi Powers are very sweet shooters. I have a Hungarian version made by FEG, and I love it. While it's not as well finished as the real deal, it's a great gun and very accurate. Right now the real ones are out of my price range, but I'd sure like to add one some day. The reason for removing the mag disconnect is to lighten up and smooth out the trigger.

WVsig

It being a practical helps it but IMHO the adjustable sight hurts it. They are much more common than the fixed sight practicals. The grips are original. Does it have the box, manual and 2 factory mags?

IF it does then $750-$800 is about right. Without those things $650-$700. If you find the right buyer who needs it you might get $900 but I doubt it. There was a short spike of BHP prices when Browning/FN announced they discontinued the BHP but things have settled back down.

Last edited:

DubC-Hicks

Bart, how can you tell it's a 1994?

Sounds like a fairly decent trade for a home built AR that I value around $650-700 then?

Yeah. They aren't making any more Practicals and ARs are as cheap as ever. I'd do that deal in a flash; but I like Hi-Powers. You should be able to get back into an AR of at least equal quality if you decide the Hi-Power isn't your cup of tea.

Have him send you a picture of the magwell. That should tell you whether it is forged frame or cast frame. Although that's just a Hi-Power geek thing...

DubC-Hicks

I've got plenty of ARs, so I'm not worried about getting back into the AR game. Sounds like I'll be trying to set up a time to make the deal :D

Crankylove

In my area, a Hipower in decent shape with a couple mags would go for $6-700.

A ‘94 in very good/LNIB, probably $800ish

WVsig

Yeah. They aren't making any more Practicals and ARs are as cheap as ever. I'd do that deal in a flash; but I like Hi-Powers. You should be able to get back into an AR of at least equal quality if you decide the Hi-Power isn't your cup of tea.

Have him send you a picture of the magwell. That should tell you whether it is forged frame or cast frame. Although that's just a Hi-Power geek thing...

Yeah 1994 could be either.

chrisp51

If it is in the condition you say it is I would make that trade in a heartbeat! Of course I do collect hi powers.

JJNA

I buy every Practical with fixed sights I see, provided they are under $1000 and in excellent condition + box/papers. I just love them (though I do get trigger jobs on them and replace the rubber grips with wooden ones).

I consider $650 trade value to be a very good deal.

Danoobie

Better for medium or small hands, I get slide bite, but I have large hands.
The Beavertail is just not made for large hands. That said I really like my
Hi-Power, but have to use gloves.

JDBerg

That HP is a beauty, I’d do that trade in a heartbeat, you’re trading a replaceable AR for a pistol that is becoming very hard to find in that condition. Let us know how much you love it!

Last edited: