Value? Collector's item?

Chris Orndorff

I recently came across a sealed metal ammo can, and I wonder if it might have any collector value. It's a "spam" type can (opens with a key which is attached to the can). The can meassures 12" tall, by 8 1/2" by 5 5/8". Haven't put it on a scale, but it feels like it weighs between 40 and 50 lbs.

Printed on the can in yellow letters is the following:

Do Not Use as Food Container
576 Cartridges
Cal .30 AP M2
8Rd Clips

Lot TW C 40179

Any ideas folks? Thanks for any info.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Well, armor piercing ammo in .30-06 dates from the days of the M-14 and earlier, so it's not real new, is it? Of course, 8-round clips means it's Garand ammo. All-AP seems rather unusual.

I'd leave it alone for now; some militaria collector might value it above the, what, 30 cents a round value?

I know we had that style of can in Korea, for Carbine ammo. That was in 1954/1955...

Hope this helps--some,

Art

[This message has been edited by Art Eatman (edited August 29, 2000).]

TW C stands for Twin Cities Arsenal.

Art is correct in that AP is armor piercing. BTW, 30-06 M2 AP is considered as poor man's match ammo.

[This message has been edited by 4V50 Gary (edited August 29, 2000).]

James K

Member In Memoriam
AP was standard combat issue for the rifle in WWII and Korea. Reason was the need of the infantry rifle to be able to penetrate light vehicles, and light armor, as well as material that would be used for cover by an enemy. Ball was normally issued only for training.

Jim