V10 Ultra Green painted OVER Tritium?

jeepman4804

Alright guys, I have searched this to death and have not found any information regarding this project. I purchase a set of the new Trijicon HD sights for my duty gun. I have been less than impressed with the orange front sight. It seems more red and easily blends in with some normal everyday colors. On my firearms with fiber optic front sights I have green and it blends much less easily. So I was thinking, why not remove the red epoxy and replace it with a bright fluorescent green paint covered with some V10 glow in the dark paint. According to the website the paint is nearly transluscent during normal daylight so a bright green should show through during normal daylight and the V10 would work during transitional lighting (lighted room to semi-dark room). My question is will my Tritium shine through the V10 when the V10 is not charged (since it rides in a holster most of the time and I am on nights)? Has anyone tried this or thought about trying this?

EdInk

I think it will make a mess out of the whole thing. You're better off finding somebody to trade front sights or just buy a new one.

AK103K

Seems kind of weird that they dont make the right height in green, as green is the "primary" color for night sights. Did you call Trijicon? If for some reason they dont make it in that height, Im sure they could swap the vial for a green one.

jeepman4804

It is not the vial that is red, the dot around the vial is red. The vial is green, and it really is not that odd as the sight set is not a conventional night sight set. They are similar to XS Big Dots but with a notched rear sight. I have already spoken to Trijicon about it and they are not planning on making them with a green dot. Google Trijicon HD sights and look at the picture, that should explain it better then I can.

jeepman4804

Gonna go ahead an post an update for those that search. Ordered a small bottle of the Glow Inc. stuff to try.

First it is not even remotely clear during lighted conditions, so there is no painting over a color of your choice. Also, it is more of a dull white, as in the color of a dirty white front sight after a day at the range.

Second it is more of a paste than a paint, making it very difficult to evenly apply.

The up side is that after being exposed to a my streamlight for about 30-60 seconds it glows for about 8 hours. Neat stuff, but not what I was looking for. Gonna stick with a good couple coats of bright fluorescent paint for lighted conditions and tritium for the dark. Just wish there was a good product on the market for that crucial time of the day when neither option really work that well.