V-V powder in 9mm and .45acp

bk40

which V-V powder for 9mm & .45acp?

I'm looking for one V-V powder to load jacketed bullets in 9mm (115 & 124) and .45acp (185, 200 & 230gr)? I know you can't have your cake and eat it too, or can you? I'm looking for high performance loads in the 9 and moderate to heavy loads in the .45. Which of these powders do you have experience with and can my objectives be met with just one powder?

N320, N330, N340, N350 or 3N37

3N37 looks to be the best for 9mm but I cannot find any .45 data for it (to slow?). N340 looks to be maybe the best compromise powder for both calibers... giving good velocities from both.

Any suggestions? TIA

stuckatwork

My favorite powder is VN350. It is a good clean powder that packs a good deal of punch. These are my loads for 9mm and 45acp. You should work your way up before trying these.

9mm 115 fmj 6.0 grains VN350 approx 1300 fps

9mm 124 fmj 5.5 grains VN350 approx 1200 fps

45acp 230 fmj 7 grains VN350 approx 900 fps

For the full skinny, go to VV's websight at

http://www.vihtavuori.fi/vihtavuori/index.html

good luck,

Stuckatwork, writing while stuckat work.

bk40

stuckatwork, first thanks for your reply. Are your approx velocities chronograph results? and if so what handguns are you shooting?

I should note that the only VV powder I have experience with in pistols is 3N37...used it for "major" loads with the Super. It worked great for that application and I have had great results with their rifle powders.

stuckatwork

bk40,

I have used a chrono with these loads. I don't own one, but a friend does. I gave him some rounds and he tested them with his pistols. He used a full sized Sig (220?) for the 9mm and a Colt Government 1911 for the 45acp. I shoot a Beretta 92FS and FN Browning P-35 HP in 9 and a Springfield Government 1911 in .45, so given the length of the barrels on my friends guns and mine, the velocities should be pretty darn close.

I really like the Vihtavuori powders. They are really clean, give nice consitant results and meter great with my equipment. I have not tried their rifle powders yet. If the rifle stuff is as good as the handgun, I will be switching to them also.

Keith J

N 350. Period. Even 340 is a little fast for full bore 9mm loads and 3N37 is too slow for any .45 work.

When these powders were first available, I made some loads for .45 that were HOT with N350 and 200 gr JHP's. This was done in Super brass I made from 451 Detonics cases and used in a fully supported barrel w/ 18lb spring.

Anyhow, I got nearly .45 Super performance and incredible accuracy. Oddly enough, it was within the LISTED maxima for the exact components, save the heavy brass.

When did V-V reduce the loading for N350 in .45 with 200 gr bullets? Did the powder change?