V-V N340: chrono results

nwgunman

Just back from a chrono check of some .45acp loads using V-V N340. I was loading Rem 185gr jhp bullets in new Starline cases with Win large pistol primers. OAL was 1.215." Velocities were low. 7.5gr of V-V N340 was only getting an average of 885fps from my S.A. "compact" (4"bbl). This is too low to qualify at an IDPA meet (need 892 fps for a 185 gr bullet). I'm nervous about jacking up the charges to the levels shown on the V-V site. Both Speer and Sierra show charge weights much less than V-V does. Also, V-V states that they were using a "6" test barrel" whereas Speer and Sierra were using real guns. Anybody out there actually dumping 7.7gr (or more?!?) of V-V N340 into a case with a 185 on top? How's the velocities? And, more importantly, how's your gun? (p.s. 9.7 gr of AA#5 with same load specs was giving an average of 928 fps.) Stay safe.

char923

I'm useing 6.7gr of N340 with 200gr SWC hard cast in WW brass and CCI 300 primers OAL 1.250" and my Chrony at 889 FPS. This is one of my IPSC loads, that is a 177.8 power factor.

George Helser

Here is my chrono data for VV-N340 in an HK Mk23 (5.87” polygonal barrel)

230 gr FMJ 6.3 gr VV-N340 O.L. 1.267” = 935 fps
(duplicates 230 gr IMI ball ammo with less flash)

185 gr Hornady JHP/XTP 8.0 gr VV-N340 O.L. 1.21” = 1165 fps
(This is a less than max +P load)

Good luck!

Regards,
George
In sunny AZ

Tree Rat

nwgunman - You found "your problem". VV powder data is very optimistic when it comes to published velocities due unrealistic test barell lengths. IMHO...also to expensive and not readily available and other than it has nearly zero flash.....I see know wide use for it. (I'm loading 800 rounds a week). Tree Rat.

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
Tree Rat

Sorry, I have to respectfully disagree. It's readily availabe in my area and the benefits include:

High Velocities
Low Muzzle Flash
Extremely Clean

Myself and quite a few at our local clubs use VV for handgun and rifle. Your results may vary in your region but not in other areas of the US.

nwgunman

Okay, so I see that at least George H. is using the V-V data with good results. Maybe others out there also? My problem was that the V-V data showed a max wt of 8.1gr, yet Speer was a max of 7.5 and Sierra shows a max of 7.3gr. I know that the velocity out of the short 4" barrel is gonna be less, but I get the fps when using just a mid-range wt of AA#5. Well, maybe I too will try dropping in a couple of extra tenths of a grain. But otherwise I like working with N340, especially the low flash and bulky density of the powder. Thanks guys for the input.

George Helser

Tree Rat,

The 45 ACP velocities I showed above was in a Mk23 barrel which gave higher than predicted velocities because of the Mk23’s length and polygonal rifling.

I have also extensively tested VV-N340 powder in 9x19 with 115 gr Hornady JHP/XTP bullets in my Glock, HK and S&W handguns. I found the published VV data to be very consistent with real world pistols. (Unlike other loading manuals where I could not
duplicate the velocity.)

Once again, I find the VV-N340 powder about equal in price to other powders. VV-N340 costs more per pound but you use less per round to get better results.

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona

P.S. My thanks to ArmySon for turning me on to VV powder. It is so advanced I do not understand why there are not headlines in the reloading manuals and magazines!

WESHOOT2

45ACP

W231, AA5, Bullseye, Power Pistol, Universal Clays, Nitro 100, AA2, WSL.

Anyone see any Vihta on my list? Huh? Well doya?

W231 will do almost everything in the 45ACP.

zeke

Have also had very good results with VV powders, particulary N350 in high velocity 45 acp jacketed, 185gn, 200gn and 230 gn. Have also used 3n37 and 350 in 9mm, although the accuracy seemed to drop off slightly at the higher speeds.

nwgunman

Zeke: Where'd you get your data for N350?
George H: You run any 185gr loads from a regular 1911 barrel? I'd guess that the "polygonal" rifling would also affect the pressure level some. Whataya think, higher, or lower?

EchoFiveMike

VV loads to CIP standards IIRC, and that may effect load levels. I doubt that you will have any problems loading up to that level using fresh or once fired brass. Also IDPA is looking very strongly at chronoing loads from standard length barrels in order to make things fair for shooters of shorter guns(if they haven't done it already). Those loads should have no problem making PF from a 5" inch gun, so you should be OK. Might want to contact IDPA.com to get it in writing so your RO's and SO's don't have a fit. Semper Fidelis...Ken M

zeke

nwgunman-from the smaller VV loading manuals (have small collection). 2nd & 6th editions, 1-97, 1-98, 1-00. Picked these up free at dealers.