Utah Gun Control (From Hell)

Hiker

I was over at AR15.com and I found this post that someone had copied from the URL below. I went to the web site and man these guys are MOTIVATED about RKBA. This is long but the very end is the best.

hat I Saw at the Devolution

http://www.infinet.com/~eplurib
1999 Sarah Thompson, M.D., The Righter

My husband and I always thought we knew what bigotry was, what it felt like, how it
could affect a person's life. Some of my earliest memories are of being beat up by
local thugs for being a "Jew kid". My father wasn't permitted to attend the local
university.

My husband is Asian-American. He grew up in a small town where all the other children
had blond hair and round blue eyes. He was taunted mercilessly. Not all that long
before he was born, Japanese-Americans were herded into a concentration camp at
Topaz Mountain, not far from his home.

But neither of us ever experienced anything like the sheer vitriolic hatred that was
shamelessly expounded in the legislature of the State of Utah last week. If you've
ever wondered what it's like to be the victim of blind hatred and bigotry, I suggest
you purchase a gun, and carry it with you. Then, pay attention.

Two major gun control bills were heard by the legislature last week, and I attended
both hearings. One bill, sponsored by Democratic Representative (and Salt Lake
Mayoral candidate) David Jones, proposed to ban all guns at schools, churches,
private residences and Olympic venues. These bans would be effective regardless of
the wishes of the church, school, or private property owner. The other, sponsored by
Republican Senator (and former gun rights supporter) Michael Waddoups, proposed an
Olympic gun ban, with the discretionary power to ban guns from churches and private
residences. The details of the legislation are not that important. What was striking
was the discussion. Listen to bill sponsor David Jones:

Rep. Jones openly admits that his bill would do nothing to stop crime. The bill is
intended to make people "feel good" and help the children "feel safe". Jones doesn't
want "those people" in his home. "Those people", of course, are law-abiding citizens
who have passed an extensive background check. He is frantically distraught at the
current law which places the responsibility on him to ask a visitor to his home if he's
carrying a gun. Jones would prefer that gun owners be required to shout "Leper,
leper!" as they approach his, or anyone else's, private residence. Curiously, Jones is
not at all interested in asking prospective visitors if they've ever been convicted of
murder, rape, child molestation, or whether they abuse alcohol or drugs.

While Jones professes a nearly paranoid concern for his children, his skills as a parent
appear to be lacking. One of his major concerns is that if someone were to bring a gun
into his home in a backpack or purse, his children would have the contents emptied in
a matter of minutes, and thus have access to a firearm. One can only wonder why he
hasn't taught his children not to ransack others' belongings. Parents like Jones are yet
another reason why children need firearms safety training such as Eddie Eagle - not to
protect them from gun owners, but to protect them from incompetent parents.

Ever wonder what they're teaching our kids about the Constitution in our public
schools? Listen to the PTA lady who looked and sounded as if she'd just been dropped
into a nest of vermin: "We don't want "those people" in our schools. "Those people"
are just waiting for an excuse to shoot "the children". "Those people" shouldn't be
allowed around children! (Almost all of "those people" are parents. Most of them teach
their kids firearms safety at an early age. But I guess they're better off in foster
homes than being brainwashed by the "evil gun culture".) After all, the children need
to "feel safe". Surely, the good Christians and Jews and other religious folks, the ones
who fight so hard for the rights of oppressed minorities, have more sense.

Well, no. Listen to the representative of the Coalition of Religious Communities:
"Children need to 'feel safe'." "Those people" don't belong in houses of worship. "Those
people" are immoral. "It is morally the right thing for you to do. Bringing a weapon into
a holy and sacred place violates everything that a holy and sacred place stands for."
So much for religious tolerance. I guess she doesn't know that Sikhs are required to
worship with weapons, or that Jews are required to practice self-defense and defense
of others. Or maybe she does know, and believes that members of religions that allow
guns should be gassed and incinerated like the Branch Davidians.

Keep listening, as she grows more hysterical and irrational: "What message does a
father send when he takes his child to school with a gun in his pocket; what message
does a mother send taking her child to Sunday school with a gun in her purse?" She
concluded that such behavior terrorizes children and makes them fearful, and
insinuated that if it wasn't actually child abuse, it should be. When did taking your
child to school or church become child abuse?

The truth is that children need to be safe. "Feeling safe" comes from the knowledge
that one is safe. Children already know that the world isn't safe, that there are people
who may hurt them. Children feel safe, and are safe, when they know that their
parents are willing and able to protect them from even the "biggest, baddest, bad
guy". What kind of message does it send when parents haul their toddlers to the
church or school to be photographed and fingerprinted so they can be identified if
kidnapped or murdered?

While religion is founded on faith, not logic, it is inappropriate for religion to exclude
reality. Yet the Coalition of Religious Communities is adamant that a woman with a gun
is more likely to be killed or injured if attacked than is a woman without a gun. Every
reputable study to date shows exactly the opposite; carrying firearms protects
women more than men. Once again, religion appears to be willing to "sacrifice" those
"heretics" who insist that the earth revolves around the sun. When asked if she'd be
interested in reviewing any of those studies, this "fine Christian woman" got angry and
insisted she "already knew what was true". When asked if she'd share her data, she
refused.

After almost an hour of "those people" shouldn't be allowed to participate in civilized
society, the committee voted to table Jones's bill. Is this a victory? Not really.
Committee members agreed for the most part that gun owners are a threat to
society; they simply felt the bill went too far. Keeping gun owners off the bus is too
extreme; forcing them to sit in the back is fine. Notably, every Democrat on the
committee (including Utah's only Jewish legislator, who ought to know better), those
esteemed champions of the rights of blacks, gays, women, and other "oppressed
minorities", voted to completely segregate gun owners from the rest of society.

All of this occurred at a government sponsored and funded legislative hearing, with
cameras rolling. No one noticed the ghosts of white sheets, swastikas, and Grand
Inquisitors hovering over the proceedings.

This hearing set the stage for Waddoups's SB 122, three days later. Senator
Waddoups brought Utah to a new level of Government of the Absurd by announcing
that he thought the bill was wrong, and unfairly violated the rights of citizens. One
has to wonder why, when asked to sponsor the bill, Waddoups didn't "just say no".
But like the good German citizens of sixty years ago, he isn't willing to be accused of
being a "Jew-lover". So the week before the hearings, he went on record as saying
that anyone who opposed his bill was a "gun nut". The Senate committee didn't waste
time discussing whether or not law-abiding citizens with guns were a threat at the
Olympics or other places. They simply assumed that all gun owners are either criminals
or criminals waiting to happen. The issue at hand was how stringently gun owners
needed to be singled out and restricted.

Let's listen again:

The Commissioner of Public Safety worries that should an incident occur, security
would be unable to tell "good guys" from "bad guys". How this is different from an
incident outside the Olympics is difficult to tell.

The Salt Lake Olympic Committee really doesn't care about rights one way or the
other. SLOC simply can't afford to allow citizens to exercise the right to keep and bear
arms, or to provide safe storage. The money is apparently better spent on bribes and
royal treatment for non-American advocates of universal victim disarmament.
(Estimates for "hospitality" for His Excellency, IOC President Juan Antontio Samaranch
and his family during the Olympics are as high as $2.6 million.) Utahans Against Gun
Violence reluctantly supports the bill, although it doesn't do enough to keep "those
people" out of schools, churches and residences.

Heroic Senator Lorin Jones: "This is one of the most blatant infringements on the
Constitutional rights of American citizens that I have ever seen in my life." He then
invoked memories of the Munich Olympics massacre and the Nazi death camps. The
Utah Shooting Sports Council, which the Salt Lake Tribune referred to as "Utah's most
vocal opponent of gun control": "The bill is bearable, although it's not perfect. It
needs to be 'tweaked'". In other words: "May we please have blue armbands instead
of yellow ones if we promise to sit in the back of the bus?" Ugh! While the Tribune is
not known for accurate reporting, is it too much to ask that they notice that USSC
vocally supported the bill, while Women Against Gun Control, the Libertarian Party of
Utah, Grassroots (NOT NRA Grassroots) and Nolympics all vocally opposed it?

The one "educator" on the committee objected to the use of the term "German" to
mean "Nazi". While he's correct that Americans of German descent are not responsible
for Nazi war crimes, he seemed unaware that ordinary Germans both elected Hitler and
supported the Nazi regime. He was certainly blissfully unaware that he and his fellow
senators considered "potential terrorist criminal" and "law abiding gun owner who has
passed a background check" to be synonymous.

While the committee listened politely to everyone who wished to speak, it was
obvious to several observers, including me, that the whole thing was little more than
"bread and circuses". It was apparent that each committee member knew exactly how
he or she would vote before the hearing began. We had the appearance of citizen
participation, but not the reality. The bill was passed favorably, and is nearly certain
to become law in some form.

What I saw, heard, and felt, was some of the most vicious hate speech I've ever
encountered, directed at the "new Jews": gun owners. A frightening number of people
are willing to espouse this bigotry openly, while mugging for the cameras. The majority
is willing to assume that if so many people say gun owners are a menace to society,
there surely must be some truth to it. The rest don't really care.

The gun-grabbers have won, folks. We are scheduled for extermination like the vermin
these good citizens say we are. Wrapping ourselves in the shreds of the Constitution,
or quoting statistics, isn't going to save us. Those who traditionally have balanced the
depredations of governments - religious leaders, educational institutions, and rival
governments, are united in their wish to see us eradicated. There is no safe haven
and no frontier to which we can flee; there's not a nation on the entire planet which
allows its subjects to own, carry and use the primary instrument of self-defense:
firearms. There is no asylum. There is no escape.

Our backs are against the wall. I can't say when the knock on the door or the
flash-bang grenade through the window will come, but I know it will. It's time to take
a stand - a stand against all those who would disparage us, denounce us, disarm us,
and enslave us. I refuse to be called an unfit mother, a danger to society and a
threat to my community, especially by my elected representatives. I refuse to be
treated like a cockroach, with shudders of revulsion followed by ruthless
extermination. It's time to get off the back of the bus. It's time to get out of the
cattle cars. It's time to shut down each and every organization that supports our
destruction. It is time to say NO! No to tyranny. No to oppression. No to being singled
out as second-class citizens. No to discrimination. No to segregation. And ultimately
we must choose to say no, even to life, if that life is to be lived as a slave. The time
for resistance is now, while we're still armed. No gun control. No compromise. Not for
an hour, a day, a month, or ever. Not "for the Olympics", "for the children", "for the
church", not for anyone.

Any other course is suicide.

"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage, against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

1999, Sarah Thompson, M.D., The Righter

Feedback is, as always, encouraged. Use the address therighter@therighter.com for
all correspondence regarding this column. My e-mail is filtered, so I cannot guarantee
that mail sent to another address will reach me. Remember that ALL COMMENTS WILL
BE CONSIDERED FOR ATTRIBUTION UNLESS YOU SPECIFICALLY REQUEST
CONFIDENTIALITY. Due to the volume of mail I receive, I'm unable to respond to all
e-mail. I will however read all comments provided they are sent to the correct address
and are civil in nature. Hate mail will be used for target practice. <g>

cornered rat

I just want to know how many of the survivors of the first round-up will go hunting? My guess is that most of them will wait passively.

Sheesh. At least my household is a two-soldier outfit these days. Three if you count the feisty kitten.

------------------
If you believe in freedom and means of protecting it...you might be a gun nut.
http://ddb.com/RKBA

Mike in VA

How soon they forget. One would think that they [in an area of strong Mormon influence] would have a particular appreciation for the value of the ability to defend oneself, both from bigots and from government.

Those [other] people are among the reasons I own guns. I simply don't understand this irrational, hysterical fear of one of the more law-abiding segments (CCW permit holders) of our 'society'.

I guess I'm having one of those "Lord, save me from your followers" moments.

Dazed & confuzed, M2

Exiled And Addicted

Retired Screen Name
She rocks the house! She (and her group) is my kind of folks. I agree; we must quit taking it on the chin, and fight back loudly. Good point about the Mormons, Mike. Looks like soon you might be able to remove the middle "m". Utah had always been a relatively pro-firearms-freedom state. Still is, even with the passage of such a bill, RELATIVELY.

John/az2

True, orthodox Mormons believe in the principles of self-government, self-responsiblity, self-defense, interdependence (not independence or total dependence), and being involved in comunity and government. They even consider the Constitution a divinely inspired document. Unfortunately the "I'm-not-a-responsible-person,-but-I-want -to-feel-good,-by-controling-others" philosophy is very pervasive and insidious. Without constant reminders of the persecutions suffered in the past of the Jews, and the Mormons, and others of varying beliefs, people forget. This is happening now within all religions. It's a shame, but it is also predictable. Govenments are cyclic. Our's (as far as I know, I'm not a history scholar) has lasted the longest, but that certainly does not make it immune to the ravening greed that is still found in mankind. Unfortunately we fall prey to them (the greedy, the power hungry) when we do not have a clearly defined line that has to be crossed. We keep hoping that all will right itself, by itself. There is predicted from several sources that there will be a war waged here on our soil. I see this as inevitable. I would not mind if it happened in my day. It's like vomiting to me. It's going to happen, and I fight it and fight it until finally because of that knowledge that it's going to come, I will encourage it just to get it over with. I feel the same way with this country, I will fight it and fight it until I have no choices left but to physically fight, just to get the whole ugly mess over with. The fact is, we are being dis-armed, but we are also being squeezed, and one day we will all pop, and this government will find itself on the recieving end. John/az

------------------
"Just because something is popular, does not make it right"

HS

WOW ! and I thought my Govt. were a bunch of ignorant, sycophantic @ssholes !! :(

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"

Hiker

I hear what your saying John, governments are cyclic. The Romans lasted a 1000 years or so, the Chinese several thousand. Ours cycle is speeded up due to the imformation age that facilitates rapid dispursing of ideas.

TEX

Yes, its a shame, but we are in kind of a bad position at this point in history. Its too late for the system to be fixed, but its still too early to start shooting the bastards. What our founding fathers went through seems like old history and growing up I never invisioned that an armed response to an out of control government would EVER be necessary, but the older I get and the more I watch, the more I begin to belive that the time is coming for liberty to be refreshed with the blood of patriots. I think I will get one of those bumper stickers that says "GUN OWNERS ARE THE JEWS OF THE 90s". Kind of says it all. Except around my very close friends I do feel like an out cast because I exercise my 2nd Amendment rights. I never admit to anyone, not even relatives, that I own a number of assualt rifles and have a concealed weapon permit, unless they are in the gun culture. The normal reaction is like the one you would get if you told them you have sex with sheep or cattle. That's a big lie about Texans by the way! I don't even know anyone who makes sheep nervous. :) Might be true about Oklahoma though!

TEX

Yes, its a shame, but we are in kind of a bad position at this point in history. Its too late for the system to be fixed, but its still too early to start shooting the bastards. What our founding fathers went through seems like old history and growing up I never invisioned that an armed response to an out of control government would EVER be necessary, but the older I get and the more I watch, the more I begin to belive that the time is coming for liberty to be refreshed with the blood of patriots. I think I will get one of those bumper stickers that says "GUN OWNERS ARE THE JEWS OF THE 90s". Kind of says it all. Except around my very close friends I do feel like an out cast because I exercise my 2nd Amendment rights. I never admit to anyone, not even relatives, that I own a number of assualt rifles and have a concealed weapon permit, unless they are in the gun culture. The normal reaction is like the one you would get if you told them you have sex with sheep or cattle. That's a big lie about Texans by the way! I don't even know anyone who makes sheep nervous. :) Might be true about Oklahoma though!

TEX

TEX

TEX

TEX

HS

Don't know 'bout sheep & cattle either but TEX must be getting the Board Admin. worried about his posting finger ! :)

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"

Mort

Tex: Don't you think that that bumper sticker trivializes the plight of the Jews? After all, they're not rounding us up, blaming us for the plague, and burning us...

Oh, wait. Still, it might alienate some Jews, who would argue that Jews are the Jews of the '90's.

Ed

Sounds as though the Utah government doesn't want the gun-haters from Japan and Europe to know that citizens of that state are so ignorant and barbaric as to want to own and carry those horrible firearms. How uncivilized that must seem to the totalitarians from around the globe who have been enlightened to the evils of gun ownership.

What do the people of Utah think of this crap? I always thought the western states would be the last ones to give in to this madness, but if the general population of Utah has turned anti-gun, then we are in deeper doo-doo than I thought. What is the "Coalition of Religious Communities" any way? I'm Southern Baptist, and most of our church leaders and members are very pro-Second Amendment. Sounds like that bunch out there is part of the "mainline denominations" group that has renounced everything Christians once believed.

When I lived in Fla a state house committee gave a favorable report on an "assault weapons" bill that would have banned even DA revolvers. I drove 170 miles to attend a rally by gun owners and we got organized and active in a hurry. Bottom line, when the bill came up for a vote there were several thousand angry gun owners around the capitol building and the bill was dead on arrival. Maybe the gun owners of Utah should take a stand, it's sometimes surprising how much attention you can get from politicians when they see you're serious about making them unemployed if they don't listen up.

snoman

Does anyone have the Legal standards for something to fall under "hate crime",We are being singled out for one reason, We have guns, just as if we were all one race or religion, How about a class action lawsuit against the gov't for discrimination, maybe the Supreme Court will hear the case, it is not 2nd amendment persay.I REFUSE TO MARCH INTO THE OVENS DAMNIT!!!!!!
Does anyone know of a lawyer that would be useful, how about the guy that helped Randy Weaver..
The damn inmates in this contry have more rights than any of us law abiding, politition electing, tax paying pawns .....

---snoman---

Correia

I live in Utah and I had no idea about any of this. Holy crap! Time to write my congress man. I don't know where they found those morons, but that doesn't reflect the opinion of the vast majority of Utahns that I know. There aren't a ton of ccw holders here, but I'm willing to bet that at least 80% of the houses on my block have guns in them for home protection. I'm not even counting hunters. I moved to Utah from Kalifornia, and I thought that home was bad. What a joke!