UT recommends campus carry in classrooms

Glenn E. Meyer

http://chronicle.com/blogs/ticker/u...1&elqTrackId=8ad7de4c043a439687c6d994fbd5806c

The debate was that the Texas schools might try to use the provisions in the law to ban most of the campus. Obviously, classrooms are a core issue.

Thus the recommendation is:

The recommendations include, among other things, that:

Handguns not be allowed in on-campus residence halls (except in the case of parents with gun licenses who are visiting their children).
Employees who have their own offices may decide whether or not to allow guns in those spaces.
Guns not be allowed in campus health centers, child-care facilities, or certain laboratories, among other places.

One can argue that you have set up some of those places for targeting. The labs I can see for certain tech reasons. No guns in the MRI.

adamBomb

I wish they would allow it my university but they will not. most (not all) faculty are strongly opposed to guns. But we do have some faculty (myself included) that are strong 2nd amendment supporters.

KyJim

It sounds like a step in the right direction. In my otherwise gun friendly state, the legislature has effectively exempted state universities from the state's constitutional guarantee of open carry by granting the universities the right to ban open carry, even in open, public areas on campus. To my knowledge, nobody has ever challenged this in court.