USPs all that good?

Coop de Ville

FWIW

Was going to trade my Sigma 40 E yesterday for a like new USP 40 fullsize. It was DAO config. A friend and I went to the range and tried em out.

I really wanted a USP for a long time, but after shooting it I was less than impressed. The trigger was probably the worst on any handgun I've ever fired. Needless to say, I happily walked away with my Sigma....

I'm not bashing HK. My Sigma trigger is no piece of art, but it was better.

I still want a USP though, but maybe I can find one in single action....

Best -Coop

stephen426

I had a full size USP .40 that was DA/SA with a decocker and no safety. The gun is VERY accurate and the HE (Hostile Environemnt) finish is supposed to be very good. I only wish they would put it on the sights as well which is where I had some rusting develop. What I mean by VERY accurate is all the shots are touching at 7 yards with 10 shot groups. This is coming from a combat weapon.

Ths DA only version you tried may not be the best version of the gun IMO. Are you dead set on DAO? If not, try the other variations. I felt the trigger was very good in SA and acceptable in DA. The polymer trigger seemed to flex a little on the DA pull which made it feel spongey. That may be why you didn't like the trigger.

Aside from that, the gun functioned flawlessly and was very easy to control. The problem is that it is very bulky and has a very high bore access. If you have one of the later versions of the Sigma, there is nothing wrong with them. The early versions were pathetic and had huge gaps in between the slide and the frame. The fit and finish were just horrendus. The new versions are supposed to have better triggers as well. The H&K USP's are excellent weapons though. Just go with a DA/SA instead of DAO.

Coop de Ville

Thanks for the info.

My 40E is new and I really like it. I carry a G26 as an off duty most of the time, so concealment isn't a problem. I was looking at the USP as a combat weapon.... most likely open carry.

Also, I tried my friend's 226 in 9mm and I liked it. I shot it in single action and found the trigger very light. What I didn't like was that the trigger was too short in single action mode....

I've been wanting a USP or Sig for quite a while and yesterday I thought I would get one... but.

Best -Coop

Smurfslayer

Howdy Coop,

Have you tried a USP with the LEM trigger? They're a much better offering than the USP DA/SA ... Essentially it's like a DAO, but with a very short reset. The trigger pull in the standard LEM model is no heavier than 8 pounds, the light version is no heavier than 5.5 pounds. The LEM trigger can be staged for accurage shots... The factory charge to convert to either LEM version is about $120, warranty intact.

The other option for the USP is the "match" hammer spring. This significantly changes the character fo the double action pull, but the single action is fairly unchanged...

HTH

The magazine on the USP is free floating, on the model I shot it rattled, which was incredibly annoying... Also it may let in more dirt than other models.

litework

The magazine on the USP is free floating, on the model I shot it rattled, which was incredibly annoying... Also it may let in more dirt than other models.

I need some clarification regarding the USP's magazine, cobray. My USP's magazine and the way it rests in the firearm isn't any different than any other autoloader I have. There's very little play in mine, especially when compared to my Glocks, Springfield XDs, and the various 1911's I own. Are you actually using a firearm with a fixed magazine and stripper clips?

payne

The DA pull in the USP isn't the best. I love my USP, but I'd hate to have to shoot in DA mode only. I do shoot the first shot that way when I practice Self-defense senarios. I would recommend getting the SA/DA mode in the USP. They are very accurate weapons.

.357SIG

The only thing that makes a USP magazine different from any other is that it is held in the front by the mag release, rather than the right or left side.

As you shoot a USP, the trigger gets better. I can shoot my USP in DA mode just fine now, but thought it was horrible when I bought it. If you get it in the right variant, you can just leave the hammer cocked all the time anyway, which is what I do. I have only owned variant 1 USPs that allow 1911-style carry.

Netzapper

+1 for the USP DA trigger feeling rather unpleasant.

To be honest, I can't hit much of anything with the double-action trigger. The single-action trigger, on the other hand, I find just fine. As a result, I carry it cocked and locked. I still practice DA, but I do so only because it's possible to accidentally decock the weapon while releasing the safety.

As for the magazine... I can't say that it bothers me in the least. It might if I carried the thing in a configuration that allowed the mag to rattle, but as it stands, it's stuck in a pocket, and doesn't make any noise.

All in all, I love this weapon.

Hammerhead

I've had three over the years.
D/A is not their strong point. They are so close to being the best, but they just seem to miss on the ergonomics. All the best parts, durability, the best reliability I've experienced, but they just don't feel right and it shows in the groups.
The safety/decocker is just too easy sweep all the way down, disabling the pistol. During slow, deliberate fire, I could get great groups, but when I try to speed up, they go everywhere.

rauchman

Hi,

I have a USP45F and it is my favorite handgun by far. USP's in general are very very accurate. I have the variant 1 DA/SA w/ cocked n' locked capability. I have just over 2k in rounds on the gun and the DA trigger does get pretty decent at 1k. I've never tried the DAO only, so can't comment on that. For a better trigger pull, you could have the match trigger installed (comes stock on the higher end USP's...Tactical, Expert, Elite, etc....). From what I understand, this should drop the weight of the DA a bit.

With enough shots through yours, I'm confident that it will eventually start rattling. Most people probably will not get to that round count, so it may just be a moot point. I will say this though, the model USP fullsize that I used felt like a brick in my hands, and the magazine rattled.

litework

With enough shots through yours, I'm confident that it will eventually start rattling. Most people probably will not get to that round count, so it may just be a moot point.

I was fortunate enough to purchase non-free floating magazines, so I'm pretty confident I'll be okay. Thanks for the warning though. :)

SIGLOCKAUR

I bought my USP.45C knowing that I would carry it cocked and locked only. The DA pull is bad. Even though it is less than a 10lb. pull it feels pretty rough. SA on the other hand was right at 4.5 lbs. And very smooth. It is one of the most accurate guns I own. I've said it before some will equal it, but none will beat it. Totally reliable and they are built like tanks. Of all my guns my Sigs have the best DA pull right out of the box.

Stiletto

Yeah, the DA's a bit crunchy. I hear that the LEM trigger packs are really nice, though.

C&L all the way!

...and am I the only one who hasn't actually heard of people having trouble with accidentally decocking?

litework

...and am I the only one who hasn't actually heard of people having trouble with accidentally decocking?

I've tried to do it...it takes a very unnatural motion of the thumb to actually decock the USP. I'm not concerned. I like the decocker, and I like the set-up as a whole. However, it is a person's right to be concerned and there are options with the USP that would eliminate any concern one might have with inadvertantly decocking their pistol. You can always purchase a USP without the decocker.

Erik

USPs are fine, albeit relatively chunky, service pistols.

They were great deals when they were first introduced as affordable alternatives to Glock's line. Ahh, the good ol' days.

My first was a full sized stainless USP .45. Out the door for about $550 in 1998.

Netzapper

I've tried to do it...it takes a very unnatural motion of the thumb to actually decock the USP. I'm not concerned. I like the decocker, and I like the set-up as a whole.

I actually spent a few minutes playing my USP, and now concur with this sentiment.

In order to actually decock the weapon, you have to take the control lever through around 60 degrees of movement. If I keep my shooting grip, it almost hurts to take it down far enough to decock the weapon.

Also, the detent catch to start the movement of the decocker is around 50% stiffer than the safety detent catch. So, if I'm sweeping the lever down to disengage the safety, my thumb actually tends to slip off the lever when it hits the beginning of the decock sweep.

CabinJohn

USP DA/SA vs DA only

It is my impression that a gunsmith can easily convert any variation of the USP to another variation without much trouble.

Your DA only varient 5 (assuming with decock control lever and "safe") could be converted to DA/SA varient 1 (with decock control lever and "safe"), or any of the other 8 varients.

I have had my USP (full size) .45 since about '98 or so, and love it. DA never really bothered me shooting 'defensive', and bullseye shooting almost alway SA.

BTW - does anyone know where I can find double mag pouches (open) for the double stack USP .45 mags? I have been to several gun stores in the area without any luck, and even those I have found on the web seem to be made for 2" SWAT or duty belts.