USP Question

branrot

I've been checking out the USP (which I like very much) and have noticed something interesting: most of them new run around 600-650 dollars or so with one exception (other than the tactical, socom, etc.): the variant 7. The variant 7 is the DAO (double action only) version, and I've seen it offered as low as 450-500.

I don't particularly care for DAO (although I have a S&W 342ti), and the pricing certainly reflects my preferences.

My question is: Why would anyone want a DAO gun when they could have a DA/SA? Now, the reason I got the DAO Smith was because I didn't want the hammer to snag on anything, but that's not a good answer with the USP because it's got a bobbed hammer. Your thoughts?

sean2001

Not all USP's have a bobbed hammer, I've owned a USP .45 and .40 They both had hammers. As for DAO I think people who like the triggers on revolvers buy them.

Archie

DAO autopistols are simple. No safties, no "make safe" operations. I have some experience with the S&W type DAO pistols. I am not really excited over the triggers, but I think I like the concept.
Having said that, I vastly prefer the single action only type pistol, being an old 1911 pistolero. I'm also a double action revolver shooter.
Personally, I find the DA-SA type pistol to be the MOST treacherous of all action styles. After firing, one must perform (to me) a more complicated make safe function.

------------------
Archie

355sigfan

DAO's are priced so cheap because shooters don't like them. Most of the people carring dao's are made to do so by an overly litigation worried police department.
PAT

------------------
I intend to go into harms way.

AndABeer

Over the years I have discovered that I do not care for two trigger pulls on one gun. Were I to ever buy a HK again it would be the DAO variant. In autoloaders, I like Glocks and 1911s (one trigger pull). In DA revolvers, I ignore the single action mode.

CMOS

"Why would anyone want a DAO gun when they could have a DA/SA?"

Personally I wouldn't want a DAO. The variant-1 HK's can be carried cocked-and-locked or DA. Why limit your choices?

IMO, if you get an HK, get the variant-1.

CMOS

------------------
NRA? Good. Now join the GOA!

The NRA is our shield, the GOA will be our sword.

Mikul

For $150 in savings, I'd get the DAO and have it converted. I can't imagine that it would cost that much to have it converted to DA/SA, but you could contact HK or a dealer to find out for sure.

Strayhorn

Some folks on the HK-L maillist report buying DAO variants at bargain basement prices, then getting the SA conversion parts from HK for $95 - it adds up to a considerable savings.

For information on the HK list, go to: http://www.hkpro.com/hkpro-l.htm

It's a very low-traffic list, tightly moderated to keep out the flamers and the jerks.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

Destructo6

I've seen the conversion parts for under $100 from a company by the name of "Stg Supply" in Small Arms Review. I couldn't tell you if they offered all of the conversion parts necessary, but it's a start. I did see that the only control lever they offered for the V1c, was the ambidexterous type.

VictorLouis

We like them because we like ONE trigger pull to master on a gun. We like them because some of us shoot better with the surprise break of a DA trigger. We like them because they are smoother, or more snag resistant. We like them because there are no safeties to release. We like them because they are available in every size and caliber, which cannot easily be said of other action types. :)
By that cheaper DAO. If you don't like it, you can convert it. You'll be out less $, as some have already pointed out.

branrot

I have considered the option of converting a V7 to a V1, but didn't know the prices. Knowing now the kit is about $100, I'm not sure I'd save anything after adding the price of the conversion kit to the price of the V7. I'd also have concerns if I ever tried to resell the gun. Glad to see you guys are thinking, though.

Chipperman

People keep talking about the problems associated with the DA/SA change in trigger pull. This is a non-issue. If you don't like it that way then don't carry it that way. As CMOS said, you can carry the USP in condition 1. You can also make it DAO. You can use it lefty, righty, decocker, no decocker, safety, no safety. The USP's are possibly the most vesatile pistols on the planet.

Carry Condition 1. If the round doesn't fire, you have a second-strike capability. If you don't want it, then cycle it like a 1911.