USP .45 was running fine until today...

.357SIG

Fired 821 rounds without a hiccup. Out of nowhere, a round stripped from the mag and went up the pipe without being grabbed by the extractor! Can someone explain what the &%#^$ happened? Any possible solutions?

SKN

So was there a failure to extract or eject after the round was fired?

Among the possible causes for each are a dirty chamber or damaged extractor or extractor spring.

JJCook

Among the reasons listed, it could have also been an extreme amount of build-up on the extractor itself. If the extractor gunks up too much, it becomes next to impossible to grab any brass. Another possibility.

Semper Fi-
JJC

.357SIG

The previous round was fired, extracted, and ejected perfectly. When the slide went back into battery, the next round stripped from the mag failed to go under the extractor.

I fired another 50 rounds after I cleared the malfunction. They all worked perfectly.

As always, thanks for the help.:)

JJCook

I wish I could help you on that one. When you find out, please let me know in case I run into the same with my HK.
Thanks.

JJC

Normalizer

The only prob I've ever had with my USP's was once my 9mm started double feeding, one in the pipe and a second behind it. Turned out I'd shall we say a bit too liberal when cleaning/oiling it. I dried it down with a couple patches and have never had a problem since.

Noban

Could it be that the brass was out of spec? I've experienced a few rounds of CCI Blazer .45 lately that would not feed in my Colt or USP. The aluminum cases were distorted in all cases.

noban

Onslaught

YES, I HAVE...

I had that same problem when I first purchased my USP... It only happened with cheaper ammo, but the very fact that it happened annoyed me GREATLY! If you manually pushed forward on the rear of the slide, it went into battery and fired fine.

I am fortunate enough to have a gunshop close by, where the employees are GREAT guys, GLOCK armorers, but HK Lovers. One of the guys pulled his USP45 (his DAILY CARRY piece!) out and removed the barrel. We compared chambers, and noticed a TINY difference in one of the corners of the chamber next to the feed ramp. Sam pulled out his Dremel, and in no time, mine looked exactly like Jim's.

My USP now handles all ammo, even the "Atlanta Arms Ammo" that gave me so much trouble before.

I hope this helps. I know you pointed to the extractor as the culprit, but all I can say is... that's what mine did, and it doesn't do it any more.

Good luck!!

.357SIG

Well, after a detail strip of the slide, I cleaned the extractor and completely blackened a patch!!!:eek: Also, I used the toothbrush tool and pulled brass shavings and flakes from the extractor and firing pin channel. I'll lighten up on the lube and see what happens this Sat. at the range.

Follow up report to come Sat. afternoon.:)