USP .45 question (bit dumb)

CzCasull

This is a semi-dumb question for you USP45 guys. I see that the USP originally was built as a .40 +P shooting gun. Was the USP45 built to do +P loads from the beginning as well?

Lucky 7

HK beefed up the USP45 (over the USP9/40) and the gun will fire .45 Super with a simple recoil spring swap so +Ps aren't a problem. Growing the extra knuckle to fit around the grip will cause you more trouble.

Regards,
Lucky

ClydeFrog

HK promo video; DVD, USP features; Mk 23/0 .45acp USSOCOM issue.

In the early-mid 1990s, HK-USA put out a demo/product VHS video for free. They explained in detail how the USP(Universial Service Pistol) was designed.
One of the points HK made was the USP models could fire factory +P and +P+ w/o any problems.
HK got the US Spec Ops Command contract for the service pistol. The .45acp Mark 23 aka; Model 0. This big pistol had many of the same features as the 9mm/.45acp/.40 USP.

If I had the $$$, I'd buy a HK45compact(lem) a P30 and/or a P2000(lem).
They would fire 1,000s of +P or +P+ safely.

DBAR

They are built tough as nails. I wish I never sold the one I had, but if I still had every gun that I ever bought, I'd have to have a room built just for my guns, and ammo. That wouldn't be a bad thing, just very expensive!

I read an article several years ago, and H&K claimed that their barrels could with stand a round being fired while a squid was still lodged in the barrel. I aint going to try it, and I don't think anyone should, but non the less, I find it a pretty big claim.

DBAR

ClydeFrog

blocked barrel; HK USP video...

The test DBAR is talking about is in the HK demo video. It may still be available on DVD or maybe somebody posted it online; www.YouTube.com .
I would not try it either but it is impressive.

Win

Page 21 of the manual for my USP states:

"..... All USP pistols are approved for use with +P and +P+ ammunition. The use of +P and +P+ ammunition does accelerate wear and reduce the service life on the component parts of any pistol, including the HK USP."

Getting out that manual was the first time I'd handled my USP in a while. I'd forgotten what really nice guns they are.

I think I need to get some more of them!

CzCasull

Thanks, all. Good info. This is actually bringing up a lot of cool stuff to think about too.

I have seen a lot about guys carrying their USP45's with Supers. I wouldn't do it but they sure like it... a lot. :cool:

laktrash

I just looked this up yesterday myself I have some 45+p 200 gr that I bought by mistake. manual says ok H&K compact 45. nothing in sig for P245, no info on S&W CS 45 either, really hate to use it Thought I might just use for carry in one of these. Whats the down side to carry other than wearing out your gun?