Using WD-40???

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodwhaincamo

A friend of mine told me that he's been using WD-40 to lubricate the internals of his revolver. I don't see why it would be bad, but it just doesn't seem right. Any thoughts on this?

teeroux

Every once in a while someone always has a question about WD-40 as lubricant.

There will soon be a long disscussion/debate/argument.:)

Personally I find it is great at cleaning firearms but not so good to use as lube for that I use an actual oil.

Just about any oil has better lubricity than WD40.

Creeper

teeroux's 3rd and last sentences are all you need to know about "water displacement formula number 40"... and guns.

C

oneounceload

It leaves a residue, that if left unchecked, can build up to a nice varnish, gumming up the works.....use it if your gun went swimming, then repeat with oil, use to clean steel barrels (but NOT on wood), then repeat with oil......

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
If he uses it regularly and cleans it often don't worry about it. Used to have a can of it in my gun box and when range conditions were hot and dusty I shot with a wet gun and ended up with the back of my hand black from oil and burnt powder residue. Next day the gun got stripped, cleaned and lubed properly before going back in box. I preferred Dri-Slide but whenever I pulled that can out I was immediately surrounded by a dozen shooters for a free squirt and I was soon out, it was to expensive for that. Long term storage no, don't do it.

B. Lahey

I've occasionally used it to flush water out of a gun. Water displacement (WD) is the one thing it does really well.

It's ok for cleaning rust or crud, but I always get it out of there and use regular lube after cleaning.

Sulaco2

WD 40 = intensely hydroscopic, that is, if left to sit will draw water vapor out of the air. Not a good thing for guns and will invade primers if its anywhere near ammo.

AK103K

Seems these days, its the in thing to bad mouth WD40, and everyone seems to like to jump on board with all sorts of horror stories.

I used it most of my life and never had any problems with it. Still do use it for some things, but not on guns to much anymore. These days, as with most other things, progress has been made in lubricants and protectants, and some things do a better job. After doing some research, I replaced the old trusty WD40 with Eezox a few years back. If WD40 was all I had, I'd still use it. Always worked for me before.

stevieboy

Not to get too far afield but there's no reason to lubricate a revolver's internals. They are designed NOT to be lubricated. I have a couple of revolvers that are approaching 40 years of age and they've never been lubricated internally, to my knowledge. They work just fine.

As for WD-40, I've been told by any number of people that it works as a solvent but not as a lubricant. I've also been told that, over time, it builds up a residue. If your friend must lubricate he should use a product that is specifically recommended for the task.

Chris_B

I don't think it's 'bad mouthing' WD40 to say its a good cleaner and a lousy lubricant. It was designed essentially as a cleaner. It's a good choice in some instances, such as old gummed up rusty hinges

BobbyT

WD 40 = intensely hydroscopic, that is, if left to sit will draw water vapor out of the air. Not a good thing for guns and will invade primers if its anywhere near ammo.

No. It's a water *displacement* formula. It will leave a bit of a residue after a while, but is great for general cleaning. An actual oil will stay in place for lubrication.

It will not invade primers. Box o Truth tried WD-40 and a half dozen other similar penetrating sprays on a half dozen types of rounds for various time frames. Even with PUDDLES of the stuff sitting directly on the primers for WEEKS, no failures to fire.

orionengnr

No good reason to use WD40 except if you and your gun fall overboard off your boat (been there, done that) :)

There are many, many better alternatives for cleaning, lubricating, protecting.

Some even do all three :) Yes, I'm another Eezox fan.

It's not the only product I own (but it is the one I use most, especially on the guns I value most highly).

Mal H

Staff
I think we might eventually need a sticky thread dedicated to WD-40.

Here's the bottom line:

WD-40 is a water displacement formula.

WD-40 was designed to be and is advertised as a lubricant.

WD-40 is not a good lubricant.

Many have used it for years on their firearms.

Many would never use it on their firearms.

WD-40 is all you need for your guns.

WD-40 is not recommended for guns since there are better products available.

WD-40 will make primers inert.

WD-40 will not affect primers.

When WD-40 dries, it leaves a good film of lubricant.

When WD-40 dries, it leaves a gummy residue that will collect dust and dirt.

This WD-40 thread is currently open.

This WD-40 thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.