using lead factory rounds in HK USP Compact

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

I just bought a HK USP in 40 S&W and went out and bought 4 boxes of 180 grain Ultra Max ammo at a local gun shop. It has lead exposed tips and I had heard that Glocks blow up if lead is used in them. I have not fired any of this yet. Is this ammo safe to use in the USP?

hawkgt

I haven't heard of any problems with the feeding lead through the .40 S&W. There was some discussion about glocks and kB on the HK list and that was mostly with reloads,etc. Also what I;ve heard is that the glock .40 S&W was based of the 9mm, whereas the HK was built from the frame up. YMMV.

Ossi

The problem with polygonal barrels comes with use of non-jacketed ammo (lead bullets). Use of jacketed open-tip bullets should be no problem. I have heard some people using lead bullets succesfully in polygonal rifled barrels, but that requires very careful cleaning of the barrel, regularly and often. If you have to ask about it don't try it. Better leave experimenting to experts and just follow the common rule of no lead bullets (wadcutters, semiwadcutters) with polygonal rifled barrels.

Ossi

zentao

I have HK 9 compact and I called HK and asked them about lead - they said "No way". Though some people including my instructor believe that it is OK if you shoot some FMJ after shooting lead.

Zentao

Status
Not open for further replies.