Using graphite in firearms, possible?

New_comer

It's me again ;)

Graphite has been used as construction material for supersonic aircraft, formula 1 race cars, tennis rackets, golf shafts, Spaceships. It's reputation for toughness cannot be disputed.

Question: Why haven't I heard of a graphite-framed gun?

Polymer, yes.

But why not graphite? Your thoughts... :rolleyes:

Hal

Brittle---as my broken St.Croix will attest to. :ugh:

hmm, considering the way it shattered, it would certainly increase the dramatic effects of a KB!

Ledbetter

Magnum Research makes a 10/22 barrel which is a stainless steel barrel sleeve in a tensioned graphite exterior. It's made by winding graphite around and around.

I've got one on my 10/22 and it shoots great. Haven't dropped it yet. the barrel only weighs 13 oz.

Regards.

Khornet

RAE,

St. Croix will fix that free. They did mine, after I broke it thru stupidity and told them so. I asked only to buy a new tip, but they replaced it free. Good outfit.

Hal

Khornet,
That's "good news /bad news/good news" Good since I really enjoyed the St. Croix. It was the only 6'6" ultra light I could find with a stiff action. Bad news since it happend so many years ago, I think I've thrown it away :(.
Then back to good, since I won't hesitate to buy another one if I can find it.

Eric Larsen

Carbon based materials and Graphite technology is coming a long way very quickly. I wouldnt be surprised if someone figures out how to built a C/G Gun. In Carbon fiber tech. Many parts on my motorcycles cracked and broke from fatigue..brittle. Now the same parts take more abuse than some similar metal parts.
You never know what theyll do. The resins in Carbon fiber are the key to its physical properties...along with the Carbon..:rolleyes: Shoot well

Master Blaster

They already do use Carbon fiber

http://www.proord.com/

:)

Its called a CAR-15

As an example of the superior durability of Carbon Fiber Composite, a certain test bed C15 pistol must be highlighted. One of the first C15 pistols that was developed is still in use, after 130,000 rounds of ammunition. Yes, it has used up a few barrels and gone through a couple of bolt carriers, but it must be pointed out that there is no measurable wear within or without the original receivers which are still on it! The Carbon Fiber has actually far outlasted even its toughest metal counterparts! This is one of the many examples of why Carbon Fiber is the ultimate material for high-tech firearms. Other reasons include the fact that this material is lighter, self-lubricating, is non-corrosive and has superior heat dissipation. This is the beginning of a new era of firearms as we venture into the new Millennium.