Using AK47 mags in an SKS?

Chris Phelps

A friend of mine mentioned an adapter (pre-ban) which would allow you to use AK mags in an SKS. Has anyone here heard of such a thing? Better yet, does anyone here know where I can find them?

dfaugh

What I know

I've never heard of an adaptor for this, but I have heard of a few people who have tried to make this work....and it didn't work well. No one seems to have much luck with the aftermarket detachable mags either

Note that there are 2 SKS models, the SKS-D and SKS-M (I have the M) that were made to take AK mags. My SKS-M works flawlessly with any AK mag I've ever tried.

In short, if you want a reliable SKS that takes AK Mags, find a -D or -M model, they're hard to find, but not all that expensive if you do find one.

Smokey Joe

SKS adapters

Chris--For almost all things SKS, I rely on DC Engineering, in Detroit. Website: www.rifletech.com

They market an adapter for AK mags, and also modified mags that fit with no adapter.

There is one model of SKS that uses AK mags with no adapter; it is the Chinese SKS-M I believe. It is rare and expensive. (Well, expensive for an SKS, anyhow.)

Now, having said that, IMHO, other than that special Chinese SKS, ALL SKS's work best with their own built-in 10-round mag, which you can load with stripper clips that are cheap, easily obtainable, and with practice, quick and reliable. Or you can of course singly-load the mag.

"The word" that you hear almost universally, is that trying to use a removable mag in an SKS is expensive, awkward, unwieldy, difficult, unworkable, requires tweaking, etc, etc.

With a 10-round mag of its own that works like gangbusters, I fail to see the attraction in a removable mag. But, to each his own.

smince

There is one model of SKS that uses AK mags with no adapter; it is the Chinese SKS-M I believe. It is rare and expensive

I saw several at the last gun show I was at. They were in the $300-350 price range. I paid $295 for my M model. dfaugh is right, though: The D and M both took AK mags.

expeditionx

The D models were imported before Nov 1990. About Nov 1990, no imports could enter with a bayonette due to 922 R. The new bayonette removed modified models from China were now identified as M models. This followed also with Chinese AKs. Before Nov 1990, they were regular AKs, but after Nov 1990 they were imported without a pistol grip, bayonette, and muzzle threads. The newly compliant AK were called MAK 90s ( Modified AKs).

Post Nov 1990 - SKS-M MAK 90
M signifies post Nov 1990

Model M sks rifles should have no bayonette lug and everyone I have ever seen has a 16 inch barrel. The pre-Nov1990 sks-d models had a full bayonette and a 20 inch barrel.