using a "used" scope

E.J.W.

I bought a new scope for rifle #1 and I'm moving the "used" scope from rifle #1 to rifle #2. Do I just "install" it and see where it hits on a target? or is there a way of re-setting the "used" scope back to square one as far as starting over with the sight in on rifle #2 that will now wear this "used" scope?
Thanks
E.

mikejonestkd

If you want to get the scope roughly back to the center of the adjustment range that is fairly easy :

Remove the caps, turn the adjustment all the way out, then count the number of turns till it goes all the way in. Back the adjustment half way back out and you should be roughly in the middle of the adjustment range. if you want to get really picky, you can count the number of clicks in the total range and divide by two and center it that way.

If you can bore sight it after you mount it then that would be best.

glazer1972

Turn it all the way one way. Then count the clicks all the way back the other way. Then turn it back halfway. Do the same for elevation and windage.

I find it easier to just put my target at 15 yds or so and fire one round. I then aim the gun at the aiming point and hold it still while someone moves my crosshairs to the bullet hole.

sc928porsche

Mount the scope on your rifle. Go to the range and set up a target at 25 yds. Remove the bolt, and set bore to the center of the target. Adjust crosshairs to center of target. Fire one round at center sighting. Recenter crosshairs on target and then adjust to point of impact. Resight to center and fire one round. you should be very close to center of target. Put up new target at 100 yds and make final adjustments.