Using a red dot magnifier on different rifles just for zero?

DMK

My eyesight is not what it used to be and it never was that great to begin with.

I do however still love using red dots (Aimpoint Comp M2s mostly) for shooting my semi-auto rifles and prefer them to a magnified optic since the red dots have a much wider field of view and are not as sensitive to eye relief or cheek weld inconsistencies.

My problem is getting a decent level of consistency while zeroing or testing ammo at 100yds. I simply can not make out detail of a small target at longer distances anymore. I don't want to zero at close range because that introduces a larger probability or error (though I do start close and work my way out to fine tune my zero). This leads me shooting 3MOA accuracy with a red dot on a rifle that I can get 1.5 MOA when using a magnified optic.

Would there be any drawback to buying a magnifier on a QD mount that I could swap between my different rifles when I'm zeroing? I would then use the rifle without the magnifier.

I guess the biggest question I have is can a magnifier be swapped from one rifle to another without any change in zero?

I can't see how this wouldn't work or how it could change my zero, but maybe I'm missing something.

Last edited:

zukiphile

Have you tried looking through an A2 iron sight to see the dot and target more clearly?

It works for me and is cheaper than a magnifier.

T. O'Heir

"...then use the rifle without the magnifier..." That'd be the same thing as removing the sight altogether. Anyway, a 3 MOA dot will cover 3" at 100. Covers the entire black of a sighting in target. You'd be better off with a low magnification scope. I'd be thinking one of the Burris mini scopes.
Semi-auto or not makes no difference at all. If you can't see the target, you can't hit it.

DMK

Have you tried looking through an A2 iron sight to see the dot and target more clearly?
I do that sometimes and it does help a little, but it is not anywhere near the same as magnifying the target.

DMK

"...then use the rifle without the magnifier..." That'd be the same thing as removing the sight altogether.
I mean leave the red dot, but remove the magnifier completely after zeroing the rifle

Anyway, a 3 MOA dot will cover 3" at 100. Covers the entire black of a sighting in target.
That's easily solved by not covering the target with the dot. Use the top edge of the dot, like you would a front sight post.

You'd be better off with a low magnification scope. I'd be thinking one of the Burris mini scopes.
I have other rifles with scopes. I want a red dot on these, I'm just trying to find a way to zero it more accurately.

Yes, I won't shoot as accurately once the magnifier is removed, but then at least I know that's me and not a bad zero.

zukiphile

I do that sometimes and it does help a little, but it is not anywhere near the same as magnifying the target.

Fair enough.

Of course, the 3moa reed dot will be magnified too.

I used to shoot a 12moa red dot from 50 feet to 50 yards, and it did fine. Like you, I either used the top of the dot or centered the dot on a round target.

I am cool to the idea of RDS and magnifiers, but I hope it works out for you.

Destructo6

Would there be any drawback to buying a magnifier on a QD mount that I could swap between my different rifles when I'm zeroing? I would then use the rifle without the magnifier.
No, that shouldn't present any problems. I've done it many time with service rifles.

Stats Shooter

I just got an Aimpoint compM4s and Aimpoint 3x-c magnifier. I have not shot is more than 50 rounds but I was getting around 1" groups with it.

But I still have 20/20 vision and with the right iron sights I can shoot 1" groups with them also.

I have the Larue LT755 swivel mount on the 3xc. I shot a group with and without and found no difference in poi at 100 yards. However, the group with the red dot alone was worse, but that was because the target I was using didn't have a very good point of reference for aiming dead center without some magnification.