using .17 hornet cases to form .17 Ackley hornet

tailchain

I have used standard .22 Hornet cases to form my .17 Ackley Hornet cases but saw where Hornady has available .17 Hornet cases. Are these just simply necked down Hornets and ready to be fire-formed to Ackley dimensions or am I missing something? It would simplify the process of making cases if they are just already necked down cases. If anyone knows please help.

hornetguy

The 17 Hornet looks a lot like the Ackley, as is. I have never compared dimensions to see if it's slightly smaller or larger.. if it's slightly smaller(shoulder farther back) you should be able to fire them in an Ackley chamber to fireform them. If it's larger (shoulder farther forward) you don't want to try that.

yes... the easiest is just to fire them in the new chamber & reload as Akley Improved

I have a Kilborn & my buddy has an Akley both in 10" Contender barrels, we get together to shoot them headsup once in a while... both are fun... but if I didn't already have the barrel as part of my Contender collection, I'd be using exclusively the 17 Remington Fireball... just a bit hotter, & much more durable brass

as it is, my 17 Fireball chamber reamer is on it's way, & my 17 Hornet buddy & I will both get new Contender barrels out of the reamer... I'm also hoping I can shorten the chamber & convert an old Remington 700 in the 17 Remington cartridge to 17 Fireball to give me a rifle in that caliber as well