USGI spec magazines?

MosinM38

Okay, I looked all over and found stuff with USGI and magazine in it, but not this exactly.

I am in the process of getting (Mailing off M.O. today) a AR-180B.

Now the reviews I've read say they need USGI spec magazines....

Does this mean steel and not the plymer ones?

Or are AR-15 magazines in general, differant dimensions than the US issue M16 magazines?

armsmaster270

The polymers fit in M-16's USGI Spec means the tolerances are the same as a USGI Magazine. AR-15 and M-16 take the same magazines.

MosinM38

Okay.

Lol, I wonder why I've heard people say GIspec, if 99.9% are all those dimensions anyway.... Must be a ninja thing :rolleyes:

ostrobothnian

If you are extremely retentive, only buy niw mags that are in the bag. On the bag you will see the milspec code number heat stamped on (as shown in picture below).

IMG_1639.jpg

Otherwise most folks just grab some out the box at the gun and knife show. :)

I usually run C products with anti tilt followers. Never had a problem with those. Theirs alot of internet commandos who like to say they know this and that but I've never had an issue with the C products. I HAVE had issues with the polymer P mags (early production) in a Rock River lower. They would not drop free, hence out of spec. Pmag replaced them.

MosinM38

C-products it is. I looked and it seems they get quality reviews.

I was gonna try a couple of others, but overall C-products looks good. Might get a Bushmaster mag or two to try.

Once I get the 180B, I'll post up what she does. Never even handled one before, and who knows. Maybe it'll be a lemon. Ah well. Money's on the way, and magazines will be on the way tomorrow evening.

Thanks for the help!!

HorseSoldier

Magpul PMags are better than USGI aluminum, and nicely priced. They've also got an NSN these days, so they're also technically US Government Issue.

ranger dave

ar mags

if you were in the service mil spec mean made by the lowest bidder lol brownells makes a great mag for $17.95 give them a try at 1800 741 0015

NSO_w/_SIG

I 'd get P-Mags, they had issues early on not dropping free in some AR makers but since they've had that issue fixed for some years now they are quite a bit better and more reliable than USGI mags. If you want USGI mags I'd atleast get the ones with the mag-pul anti tilt follower. You won't find much better deals than through Bravo Company right now. Here you go, you decide http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-magazines-beta-s/21.htm

If you have any doubts about P-Mags here is one of many example of how they perform by someone that will treat them much rougher than 99.9% of people. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=450287

Also "Stickman" on the M4carbine site did a great torture test test and review of the p-mag.

GONIF

+1 on the Magpul P mags . If you try the P mags you will like them better than the USGI aluminum mage .

teeroux

If you are extremely retentive, only buy niw mags that are in the bag. On the bag you will see the milspec code number heat stamped on (as shown in picture below).

You know my brother gave me a new mag still sealed in the bag with mil-stamps as well as some used GIs with boot lace magpulls and be derned to hell if the new one sealed up was a bad mag it was oversized. It fits so tight it has to be shoved into the mag well. So I plan to modify it into a reciever block for my vise.:)

MosinM38

I know they're probably good but...I have a hard time getting used to polymer....

Then again, the rifle I'm getting has a polymer lower so.... :D