USGI M1911a1

kraigwy

Maybe I'm dreaming, maybe not.

I recently took a tour of the CMP ware houses while at the CMPs Advanced Maintenance Class.

I was shown pallets after pallets of M1911s the Army turned over to the CMP because its cheaper to give them away then store of destroy them.

The CMP has no info on what they will do with the pistols as of yet.

When I got home, I read where an amendment to the military apportions bill was added authorizing the CMP to sell surplus pistols to qualified US Citizens.

Whether the amendment will make it through the final vote is anyone's guess.

But it would behoove interested parties to keep an eye one the CMP's web site, you never know. One thing for certain, if offered they will go fast.

Before you say anti gunners will never allow it to happen think back to the pre-CMP days where the DCM was responsible for selling surplus military guns and providing training in their use.

The DCM was an army run program that was funded by congress.

In 1996 Sen Fienstine successfully fought to defund the DCM which turned out to be a super win for the American Citizen.

Congress cut the funding, turned the operation over to civilians to manage. Their funding would come from the sales of surplus rifles, ammo, and related supplies.

Under the DCM you were limited to 1 rifle per life time. Under the CMP you're limited to 12 a year.

I got my Dist. Rifle badge under the DCM. after I got the required leg points it took 18 months to get my DR Badge. Now if you leg out, your badge, if not given at the match will beat you home.

Tons more events and programs. Much more efficiently run.

All because of anti gunners. So it could happen. If you want a USGI 1911, keep an eye on the news and the CMP website.

For info the CMP is already selling brand new USGI magazines for the 1911, limit of 10. I have my 10 in route as I type this.

SUPPORT THE CMP, THEY EXIST TO SUPPORT YOU.

Jim Watson

I remember those times.

I also know how things happen under CMP management.
There was a period when you were limited to five guns of a type. One gun show wheeler dealer here signed up his wife and kids and each of the five ordered the maximum of five Garands. He went through those 25 rifles and was able to rearrange parts to assemble several "correct" M1s with all parts from the same manufacturer and year. He sold those for a large profit, and as supplies started to dwindle, sold the remaining "mixmasters" for about what the whole bunch cost to start with.

When the .22 target rifles started coming out, I bought a new Kimber. I would have bought one of the used Kimbers to remodel but watched a guy ahead of me pick out the better ones and buy them all.

Then there were the Winchesters. The word went around that the Model 52s would go on sale "next Friday." So some of us pointed up a trip to the South Store. When we got there, the 52s were gone, they had been put out the previous Friday and sold out in about three days. I feel like that original word was a lie to keep down competition for the rifles.

The 40Xs went about as fast, I watched one guy step up to the rack, wrap his arms around as many as he could hold, and stagger to the counter with them. The only slow sellers were the USMC marked rifles at about double the price.

So I figure sales of 1911s, when and if, will go mainly to enrich the collectors and speculators who have driven the prices of nice surplus into the thousands of dollars. Many thousands for the ones with funny markings.

reddog81

I hope you're not dreaming...
If what you say is true that would be awesome. Just having them in the CMP's hands would be a great start on getting out to the public.

Jim Watson

They are already IN the CMP's hands.
The Army doesn't want them back, they are "obsolete" and they don't want to pay to store or even scrap them.
The CMP is stuck with them, it can't sell them or return them, they are just eating the storage cost.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I doubt this administration will ever allow surplus handguns to be sold to the public. They have been trying to close the CMP for years. It is no secret that they would like to ban all handguns and confiscate those now in the hands of the public.

Jim