USFA Rodeo - Shoot, Save, or What ?

Pointshoot

Hi guys. Years back I handled a USFA SAA style revolver in a gun shop and was impressed. I finally understood what guys were talking about when they spoke of the natural pointability of a SAA. (I have been around guns for a long time, but aren't experienced with these firearms like a lot of the cowboy action shooter guys are. I have heavy single action Rugers, and they aren't the same. ) That same shop had several Colts and high end USFAs, but I was drawn to the Rodeo. I'm more of a shooter than a collector and thought they'd make a fun, great handling field gun. I bought a new all-USA built USFA Rodeo (matte blue/case colored hammer) . As I recall, I paid a little over $600 for it at the time. Later, I came across a Rodeo II which has a matte nickel finish and bought one of those too.

I haven't put a lot of rounds through the matte blue Rodeo and none through the nickel Rodeo II. Of course, its an old story now that mysteriously USFA closed down their SAA clone business. (I wish I'd ordered one of their pre-War style SAAs as I had intended :( back then.) ---
Conditions are far different then when I bought these guns. I had intended to shoot the heck out of them and have fixed what needed to be fixed as required. Are parts still readily available for these guns ? Can Colt or other parts be made to work - and what parts can't be substituted ? Is it wise to limit my use of these revolvers now that USFA is out of the SAA clone business ? A buddy of mine has a nice Colt double action revolver that he bought many years ago and cannot shoot for lack of broken replacement parts. I'm hoping the situation isn't the same with my USFA Rodeos.
Thanks in advance for your comments & suggestions.

royal barnes

I am not aware of any problems with parts interchanging between USFA and Colt. The Rodeos were the "economy" versions of their single actions and are excellent guns for the money. I know a number of CAS members who shoot them. I would not hesitate to shoot the heck out of both. They will never be collector guns in the true sense of the word. As far as your friend's problem goes there are gunsmiths who still have parts for most of the Colt DA revolvers and can do repairs.:)

Colt46

Agreed

They are mechanically sound, but finished as an economy model. Collector value will be pretty darned low.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I liked the Rodeo so much I bought two. I also got a regular model with the full case hardening and blue, and a percussion Navy model. All good guns, and I think USFA was nuts to get out of the SA line.

Jim

Colt46

I'd like to know the 'rest of the story' with them

Despite having a superior product with affordable pricing they couldn't make money. So I heard about the profit portion, anyway. I always wanted one, but couldn't get the scratch.