USFA a little advice please

credx2

I just put down a deposit on the USFA SA Revolver in 357. I have a couple of questions I hope some of you might answer.

First off to narrow the responses, I won’t compete with it, round count will be relatively low (100 per outing…500 per year). I'm diligent about cleaning (therapy)

First question: What is the advantage to the .38 special cylinder over firing .38s through the 357 cylinder? I was trained on a 66 own a 686 and a GP-100 all three of which I rarely put 357 through and fired thousands of .38s from wad-cutter to +P with no affect on longevity or accuracy. (maybe I just answered my own question)

Second question: Has anyone ordered the unfinished walnut grips. (Thinking of finishing them myself) are they intended to remain unfinished or are they a blank to customize your own…ah…or both?

Question 3: My Freedom Arms factory grips are fitted to my specific gun, is it the same for the USFA? If I order Walnut grips from them later does the gun have to go in for a fitting or are they ready fit?

Appreciate any advice.

Oh yeah, I posed these same questions to USFA customer service and am awaiting a reply. Thought I'd get an independent opinion.

When you can't hold the gun or shoot the gun might as well talk and think about the gun.

Thanks All

H.W. French

USFA

Good luck with CS. It has been like pulling teeth for me lately. An email is likely to not be responded to in any reasonable amount of time. I waited a week and finally called them. Apparently the guy who handles the email is only in one or two days a week and it is his discretion to reply or not. If you leave a message it may or may not be returned in a couple of days. I am aware they are a relatively small company with a limited staff, but I'm currently on week number four with an unresolved quality control issue. In nine years of specialty outdoor retail I have never had this amount of inconvenience with a manufacturer, sales rep, warranty rep, or customer service rep. At this point I'm not angry just a tad deflated over the whole idea of owning a USFA. I hope your experience is a better one.

credx2

Dope!! thus the lack of replies

I'm a dope, thus the lack of replies here and from USFA.

I changed my mind from the 45LC at the last minute because I have so much .38 ammunition. I assumed there was a 357 chambering and didn't look at the web site. I'm Going back to the 45LC.

CraigC

I'm still trying to figure out why USFA went in that direction for that new sixgun. I also have to wonder why they're putting a .44Mag on us with the standard SAA grip frame. I reckon you can't please everybody all the time, including me.

dipper

Maybe HOPEFULLY!! They'll decide to offer those chamberings in a traditional configuration---I want one and am currently searching for a .357 Magnum single action.

J.P. Lower

Don't waste money on USFA

The issues listed here with USFA's service and response are only a part of the reason not to buy one. Why pay over a grand for a reprduction when you can get a real Colt for the same money? A Colt will retain value but a clone, even one done as good as the USFA's, will not. In addition, the casecolor they have, provided by Turnbulls, is the same color used on other replicas he colors, typically coated with varnish to prevent wear, as this color is mainly cosmetic and not a hardening process. If you want fit and finish, find a good second gen colt or have a late first gen restored. Above all, unless you absoultely need a 357, forget it, they are the dogs of single action Colts or clones.

AJD21

Talk to Gary Granger of Frontier Classic Firearms. He works for USFA. I hear back from him the same day or the next day via email. I've asked him literally two dozen questions in the last 3 years and have always gotten a reponse quickly. Or when you call the USFA phone number just use his extension and talk to him.

I had a tiny patch of "fog" on the bluing of my USFA Single Action(You could only see it if you held it in the sunlight at just the right angle.) I emailed Gary and asked him what he thought. Within a few days I had a prepaid UPS tag in the mail from him. I sent the USFA on Monday and had it back to my house the next monday with the barrel reblued. They paid shipping both ways and fixed the problem for free. I wasn't surprised since their repair service probably don't see alot of traffic since their quality control is among the best in the firearm industry.

I won't get into the whole USFA vs. Colt debate again. Buy whatever you want.

CraigC

Why pay over a grand for a reprduction when you can get a real Colt for the same money?
Because USFA's are superior in every way, inside and out. You can acquire a single action of similar finish from USFA for about $400 less than a new Colt SAA. For the same price as a Colt SAA, you can get the USFA Pre-War model which is way beyond what you get from Colt's. A "real" Colt is a twice-cheapened replica of the original. A USFA is an authentic replica of the original. Buy a USFA if you want the highest quality SAA available. Buy a Colt if all you're interested in is the name.

A Colt will retain value but a clone, even one done as good as the USFA's, will not.
Got anything to back up that claim? I always hear that old wives tale but I can find no truth in it. Third generation Colt's have been $1200 as long as I've been an adult so figuring inflation, they're dropping in value. A used Colt depreciates just like any other gun. No sir, unless we're talking about a 1st or 2nd generation gun that costs more anyway, the resale value argument is bunk.

In addition, the casecolor they have, provided by Turnbulls, is the same color used on other replicas he colors, typically coated with varnish to prevent wear, as this color is mainly cosmetic and not a hardening process.
I really don't know if USFA's are case hardened or not but the colors are authentic and much more vivid than a Colt. They are certainly more resistant to wear and fading with the clear lacquer topcoat. Anybody who thinks Turnbull's finish work is inferior to Colt is smoking something.

Above all, unless you absoultely need a 357, forget it, they are the dogs of single action Colts or clones.
First I've heard of this. Is there a reason for it?

...have a late first gen restored.
And pay how much for it? Maybe $4000-$6000???

mhblaw

I have a Colt 3rd gen. 51/2, 44WCF and four USFA SA's, 45LC, 44 Special, 38WCF and most recently a Rodeo II (satin nickel) in 45LC. The USFA finish is much superior to the Colt. They all shoot well and as I not a collector, but a shooter, that is most important....and $900 for a USFA beats $1400 for a Colt that does not look quite as nice.

VTRich

I was torn between the Colt and USFA, and ended up going with the USFA. I believe Turnbull uses authentic case coloring on the USFA revolvers.

USFA_SAA_0289.jpg

James K

Member In Memoriam
I have owned, shot, and handled a lot of originals, and FWIW the USFA is the only modern gun that feels right. The Colt has been changed too much. The others are good guns, and if you aren't into tradition, the Rugers are darned fine guns and more durable than any "traditional" SA ever made.

Jim

gak

I would echo the comments suggesting that USFA has finally created an answer to a question no one has asked with this goofy new product line. I understand this makes the .327 available as well but I say just make a proper SAA in
32-20/.327 (and thus .32 Mag) convertible for that.
Otherwise, the lowered prices of 2008-2009 finally have indeed made selection of the "regular" USFA SA model an easier one. I have a USFA Gunslinger (pre-antiqued SA) and while a great gun, its price has not come down like the regular (non-specialty) line.

Picked up a near one-of-a-kind Colt custom shop .44 Sp --genuine "4th gen", for $1150--about the going low-end internet rate for new SAAs--and it's a stellar piece. Fit and finish excellent and the look and feel the equal of any 2nd gen I've handled...and I do believe the "genuine Colt" will hold its value better than any clone, all other comparisons aside.

I'd say ditto the positive comments re USFA model (as well as Mr. Granger's great service/responsiveness), but to me USFA's main strength (in addition to value with its great SA pricing) is the wide variety of choices. To me it's really a budget issue. If $1200 is a stretch, by all means get the USFA, at the current/reduced prices simply can't go wrong. Thinking you can go over the $1000 threshold? (that no decent Colt seems to ever go under--new or used) and I still say Colt, if you can only get one The (properly) vaunted Pre-War USFA--with it's 1st Gen features--is still a bit more than what you can get the "regular" Colt for, so then it's just a matter of personal taste and your wallet.

dipper

As I stated earlier, I am looking for a .357 Magnum single action.
I have been researching different companies for the last couple of months and trying to find out about the quality of the offerings out there.
There are two companies that constantly/consistently get very high praise for their product(from what I have seen) .... USFA and Freedom Arms.

I have yet to read a bad report on USFA revolvers.
I have been reading posts about other revolvers having various problems and usually multiple responders say " just get a USFA and you'll be happy."

I am very happy that USFA is adding these new chamberings to it's line....can't say I care for the colors but I think I could live with one in graphite black.
I'm looking for a great shooter with good fit and tolerances.

Many people thought the new Ruger LCR wouldn't sell, is ugly, etc. but reports say it is a good product and some that said they wouldn't touch one are now changing their minds.
I believe there will be a decent market for the new chamberings.

AJD21

I would contact Gary Granger at USFA about a different finish option. They built most of their revolvers to order and I have in my questions to Gary I've found they are willing to do more custom options that I could list here.

I just saw online a guy that purchased a Rodeo with a 12" barrel. You won't find that listed online anywhere at USFA's website but they built it for him.

mhblaw

I have a USFA 32 WCF on order. I asked if they would make another cylinder chambered for 327 Mag...but they declined. I have a Ruger Buckeye BH in 32 WCF and 32 H&R Mag. Had the 32 H&R rechambered by Bowen to 327 Mag. Been shooting Federal American Eagle 100 gr. JSP for the brass and working up some handloads. If the 327 shoots as good as the 32 WCF, will be a fine gun.

Model-P

Did USFA really lower their price on their standard SAA, or did they stop offering their hammers standard as color cased and knocked off $150, then make color cased hammers a $150 option that puts you back at what the price was before (if you want a color cased hammer)? This isn't a rhetorical question. I really don't know what the price was before and am curious.

Last edited:

scottaschultz

Now I know it is in direct violation of the 10th Commandment, but I am jealous of someone who can afford to spend that much on a gun and only shoot it enough to barely warm up the barrel! My "big bore" SA wheelgun is just a piddly ol' Ruger Blackhawk .357 that cost just under $400. Since the USFA's are more than twice that and Colts are three times that, is the USFA twice as good? Is the Colt three times more accurate?? Shooting the same loads the same number of times, will the USFA last twice as long as my Ruger or the Colt three times as long? Will I enjoy it three times as much?

Well ya know, maybe I should just delete this post since I am being somewhat hypocritical. Several years ago I came into a windfall and bought a 1991 Corvette and today this 18 year old car has a whopping 78,000 miles on it! So I guess I should be the last one to be critical of how another man chooses to spend his money!

Enjoy your new gun, whatever it is! At least its a SA revolver and how bad can that be?

Scott

dipper

LOL scott, you take a lot for granted.
First, I can more than warm the barrel up I could melt it if I choose to.
Second, I never owned a corvette or any car costing near that much.
I am heading out to the range as soon as I get done typing this and I will be driving a clapped out 1990 chevy corsica with 240,000 miles on the odometer.
Like I said in another post, depends were a man chooses to spend his money---you purchased a corvette and I didn't.

As far as your Ruger goes they are great revolvers for the money and there is nothing wrong with them---I like them a lot.
I want to shoot cast bullets out of my new single action whatever it is.
In doing research, everything that I read and learned and all those that I talked to said the USFA revolvers are good to go right out of the box....properly sized throats, barrel dimensions etc. not to mention that they have great triggers and a high level of fit and finish.
Not knocking Ruger at all but I have read about Rugers canted sights, poor throat dimensions on some examples, and less than stellar triggers.
Now, I am no expert on single action revolvers but I prefer not to have to screw around with a revolver to get it where I want it...this time.
Again, I am not knocking Ruger, just sharing MY thought process with you...feel free to disagree.:)
Is the USFA as good a deal as a Ruger, YEP!! To get the average ruger where a USFA is, will cost you MORE than the difference in price at the outset.
AND, I guess it just depends what an individual likes....what he or she WANTS in a revolver.
I own several Ruger double actions and like them...AFTER getting the throats and chambers right and trigger jobs and recutting the forcing cones.