Useless Wants

roy reali

Is there any gun and/or cartridge combination that you really want and know you don't have need for? You just want it.

A few years ago a friend of mine bought a rifle chambered in .375 H&H magnum. He has no plans to go to Africa or even Alaska. Heck, he barely hunts at all. He had always wanted a rifle chambered for this cartridge and bought one.

I have always wanted a rifle in .22 Hornet. More usefull around here then a .375, but I have several rifles that cover small game and varmint hunting just fine. I could even purchase a .22 WMR and get darn near ballistic results to the Hornet. But I really want one. Everytime I look through a reloading manual or see an article about this round I get the itch.

I've also have been wanting a rifle in .25-20 for a long time. Our local gun shop had an old Winchester chambered for it a few years back. Funds, rather the lack of funds, prevented me from buying it.

Is there any gun that you really want to get but really would serve no "real" purpose? You want it but can't really explain why? Or, have you ever bought such a gun already?

jeepstrapped

6.5x55 in a semi-auto, something like a Browning Longtrac.

For some reason I think it would be plain and simple FUN :D

I wonder if a guy could rebarrel for this:rolleyes:

noelf2

S&W 460 XVR

I can't hunt with it in VA, and there aren't any Grizzlies here to defend against. OK there's some black bears but a 44mag or 357mag will pretty much work fine for that. So, I just want one!

Glenn E. Meyer

4 barrel Sharps derringer or clone of such. Just because. If there were a decent small Remington two barrel pattern I would buy one also.

mes227

Awhile back I had the itch for the 460 XVR. I fought it but finally gave in. I bought one and LOVE it! No "need" what so ever, but I'm glad I got it. More recently I was itching for a 41 Mag. I have two 44 Mags (S&W and SRH), a 45 Colt (S&W), the 460 XVR, a 480 Ruger (SRH) and a 454 Casull (Alaskan), so I certainly have the large bore range well covered and the 41 Mag adds nothing ballistically. But....I just ordered it (S&W Classic Hunter II) yesterday and can barely wait to get it on the range!

huntinaz

A few years ago a friend of mine bought a rifle chambered in .375 H&H magnum. He has no plans to go to Africa or even Alaska. Heck, he barely hunts at all. He had always wanted a rifle chambered for this cartridge and bought one.
Yeah, me too. 375H&H would be totally sweet. I would probably kill an elk with it for kicks. Possibly jackrabbits too.

noelf2

I just checked VA's regs and I don't see anything that says you can't hunt with a .460.

I should have been more specific. It depends on the county. There are some where I can hunt with a handgun, but not where it's convenient. :(