usefullness of .22mag

Camshaft

with .223 being so cheap, and AR's being so accurate (and fun) is there really a perk for using the .22 mag other than less noise?

bu-bye

Well there is......
And don't forget.......
At the most important reason is......

I had a Marlin bolt action 22mag and sold it for a .223. I can't think of any good reason why I owned a 22mag, I guess thats why I sold it.

kerth

22 mag has useful range increase over 22 lr and is legal for small game, most states I am aware of forbid centerfire for small game. 22 mag with fmj has much less tissue damage on edible game than full velocity .223.

Neglecting hunting use, I can load .223 to do anthing a 22 mag can do, and more, for a lot less $.

dfm

It's a first class small game hunting round out to 125 yards or so. Much more punch then a .22lr without having to reload.

dfm

Ledbetter

Yes, but they are $8 a box

I am facing this question. I have a 10/22 magnum and just ordered a bolt-action .223.

I guess the answer for me is, if there are too many fuzzy varmints to shoot singly, I will use the semi-auto.

The question I am asking myself since the introduction of the .177magnum is "Why can't someone load a .22 mag to have the same speed and ballistics?"

"Poof!" went the squirrel. "Poof!" went the bunny.

bu-bye

I don't think you can get the same ballistics and range that you get with the .177 from a 22mag. Bullet design is very different. 177 has a B-Tail I think and has much less drag then a .22 and good for pests out to and maybe past 200 yards. With in 100 yards you could get them about the same but the reason for the 177 and 22mag was for beyond what a 22lr could do (over 50-75yards). My 22Mag marlin was getting just over 1" groups at 100yards. Out to 200 yards they would drop about 10 inches and gave around 8" groups with very little wind. I have never shot or even seen a 177 rifle other then in Gun&Ammo, but the speed and bullet design looks like it would be much better at longer ranges. My$0.02

Mannlicher

I have owned a Marlin .22 mag for many years. Bolt action model 783. I mounted a Weaver K4 on it in Weaver rings.

For some 20 years, I have taken squirrel, rabbit, turtle, birds, and assorted varmints with this rifle. It is reliable and accurate, though I do not often even try a shot past 60 or so yards. I have taken a few crows at over 150 yards, and the Winchester HP did what it was supposed to do.

Any reason to own it? Not really, but I do, and I like it. I think that this is the 'reason' a lot of folks have a specific caliber or gun, they just plain "like it".

If you already own a .223 and don't own a .22 Mag, then I don't see a lot of point to buying one. But, I don't see why this is an either/or situation. I also don't feel the need to "justify" the guns I have with some specific reason for owning it. I want it, therefore, I own it. I have a .22 mag rifle and a .22 mag pistol. I also own three .223s. I am not planning on getting rid of any of them.
Of course in comparing the two, you have to take cost into consideration. I have a Marlin 25MN .22 Mag and an AR15. I could buy a half dozen Marlin 25MNs for what I paid for the AR.

ojibweindian

If you don't reload, and hunt small game, the .22Mag makes much more sense than a .223. Who the hell wants to eat a bunny, squirrel, or other small game animal that has been blown to gelatinous, bite-sized morsels?

Ledbetter

What I meant was

Why not load a super light hollow-tipped plastic-capped boat-tailed bullet into a .22 mag case and make it fly 1000 fps faster?