Used XD

Red_Eagle

I went to my LGS today to work out the transfer arrangement for a beautiful new Taurus PT-100 I bought on gunbroker and seen something in the used case. I very mint condition Springfield XD for $375. After a quick search on gunbroker.com, I've come to learn this is about the average price for a XD. "So whats the problem? Buy the pistol" you might say. next you might ask "What caliber is it? 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 Auto, or 357 Sig?"
Unfortunately, it is none of those. It's a 45 GAP. I hand load so I looked around the web for some. All the usual suspects. Graf & sons, Midway, Mid south, cabela's, etc. Everyone had it on back order if they carried it at all. Finally found a small company call LEO brass that had some once fired stuff.
Here's my thing.... As good a cartridge as it may be, I think this cartridge has the potential to be to pistols what the 307 Winchester and 357 Maximum is to rifles and revolvers.
But I really want that pistol. I just don't wanna get stuck with a gun that I can't buy ammo or load for.
What would you guys do? :confused:

Last edited:

spodwo

First - Springfield Armory hasn't imported any .45 Gaps for awhile. And it has been a long time since they have had Croatia make any for them so you are getting a Pistol that may be a dead end cartridge. Or at least - you are buying a pistol that Springfield has dropped from their line. They still carry it on their website BUT again - ask anyone that has seen any new SA .45 GAP stuff come over the Atlantic. It just hasn't happened in a very long time.

Para dropped making pistols for that cartridge also.

You are looking on Gunbroker? Do a search for .45 GAP and see how many you find by any manufacturer. Glock is the only one right now making the .45 GAP and Budsgunshop is blowing out their inventory on them. You can get a new Glock for what you are getting a used XD for...

I would advise if you have to have a cartridge which is impossible to find in local shops and there is only one gun manufacturer making a pistol that shoots the GAP then at least get a Glock. Gaston has his name on it so he will probably keep making it.

So what would I do? If you like the XD, then get one in a .40 or 9mm or 45 ACP.

Last edited:
If you don't mind reloading, then I would consider buying it. You can always load up a good batch and stash away an emergency supply in case you don't find any at the store. It's comparable to the standard load of the .45ACP ballistics wise. Unfortunately, it's dying off in popularity. But I really don't see where brass manufacturers will off and quit making any more. LE agencies in small capacities, Glock, and reloaders should keep the demand up enough for a least a few more years.

And Springfield may have dropped the GAP, but make no mistake. They will warranty your gun if something happens to it so no worries there.

Delaware_Dan

My LGS was selling one for $350, mint. I asked what their stock was for .45 GAP (post ammo scare) and they said they don't even stock it. Only buy it if you reload. My two pennies.

cougar gt-e

Since you reload, it shouldn't be a big deal.

The gun is quality and Springfield will stand behind it.

I wouldn't offer full price. Start at 300 - with a box of 50 rounds or 100 casings.

lee n. field

Quality guns with exceptional handling features usually don't end-up on the blue-light sale shelf.

Nothing at all wrong with the gun, except the oddball and almost orphaned cartridge it's chambered for.

If you've got a ready source of brass and are willing to handload for it, buy it for cheap and have fun. Otherwise, pass.

The Expert

I think you have good reason to back away from the that gun. For one thing, I simply don't understand why anyone would get an XD pistol that is limited by an 8 round magazine. That just doesn't make sense when the XD-45acp carries 13+1.

I wonder if the gun was originally targeted toward police officers because many of those pistols were sold with XD-45LE markings. I guess the law enforcement community didn't catch on that this was the new "cartridge of the future" even though it was pushed by Glock.

spodwo

I checked. Springfield in fact still lists the standard 45 GAP XD and the Tactical on their website, with 2 9 round magazines

It is listed but as I said...

First - Springfield Armory hasn't imported any .45 Gaps for awhile. And it has been a long time since they have had Croatia make any for them so you are getting a Pistol that may be a dead end cartridge. Or at least - you are buying a pistol that Springfield has dropped from their line. They still carry it on their website BUT again - ask anyone that has seen any new SA .45 GAP stuff come over the Atlantic. It just hasn't happened in a very long time.

WVfishguy

I actually prefer my handloads for revolvers, so I would not hesitate to buy an "orphan" caliber for a wheelgun. But I'd NEVER do so with a semi-auto.

However, for a great gun like the XD at $375, I just might risk it. :p

Red_Eagle

In spite of the warnings and my own better judgement I picked up the XD last night. I really like it. I was expecting a trigger like the ones on my Glocks, but this thing lets off real smooth. The grip is probubly about the same size as a Glock 17. Maybe a little smaller.
I also picked up about 350 rds of once fired brass from the FT Bliss Rod & Gun club. The 1st batch of test loads are sitting on my reloading bench now. And I got 2 boxes of Winchester and federal factory stuff today during lunch.
My unit releases early on Thursdays, so I should have a range report posted by tomarrow evening, unless the 1SG comes up with a reason to have me work late.

hotcha45

My experience has been that you can pick up some real deals on 45 GAPs and I have a pair of them. They both shoot very well and ammo for them while not in plentiful supply is generally available (I hand load so don't care that much). Oddly, both my GAPs like the cheap white box Winchester ammo the best for accuracy as opposed to Federal or Rem hard ball ammo.
Let us know how it shoots for you.

EdInk

I am a HUGE fan of the XD platform. IMHO it is probably the best handgun on the market for a duty weapon. However, I wouldn't get one in 45GAP. It's too much of a niche caliber. You should certainly look into buying an XD just in a different caliber.