Used Springfield 9mm 1911? Model and Value?

Venom1956

Hey guys,

I happened across a 9mm 1911 Springfield which really interested me. It was parkerized, slanted rear serrations, none up front had an original style hammer and grip safety with an Arched MSH. barrel looked to be stainless and it flared out near the end, it had a bushing. Came in a blue plastic case. Sights were standard GI type. It was used.

When he was telling me about it he said it was an older gun 80's or 90's vintage and its 'national match' (national match is Colt? This is why I am skeptical.) US forged steel frame and wasn't a cast imported one. I apologize this isn't exactly a great description but he doesn't like people photographing his guns.

Is this something that's worth 700ish? does this frame claim make sense? Is this something that would be worth putting money on? (its not my favorite gun shop) It seemed like a neat range toy. Any input would be much appreciated.

WVsig

NM simply means it was assembled here in the US not Brazil. They are more sough after than non- "NM" guns but it does not mean National Match.

I would say depending on condition $600 is more than fair.

Venom1956

Crap I would LOOOOOVE to pick one of these guns up for around 600. :D

Especially since my girlfriends likes 1911s but the .45 is abit much for her and 9mm out of a poly gun she doesn't like either... if anyone is looking to part with one let me know! Just what I need... another pistol...

RickB

All Springfields start as slides and frames forged in Brazil; no US-made, and no cast. Guns with "NM" prefix serial numbers have enough of their manufacture done in the US to qualify as "US made", but they all start life in Brazil.

Casimer

These guys are right. NM is really just an import designation, if that's the correct term. There was a whole brouhaha surrounding the NMs several years ago, which is when the 'National Match' myth came about. So the dealer's claim may be an honest mistake. You'll still encounter people who think that the NM Mil-Specs are National Match pistols.

But the NM's do seem to command a bit of a premium. Rumor has it that their build quality is better, though that's anecdotal. I've got an NM Mil-Spec in 45ACP that's very well built, especially considering its original price. But I haven't inspected enough non-NMs to be able to confirm the rumor.

Venom1956

Yeah thats what I figured. Honestly it seemed like a pretty decent 1911 over all nothing fancy but a nice 9mm used isn't something you often stumble across. But the amount of parts and gunsmithing I'd have to invest into a 700 used pistol just to get it to feel like my .45 wouldn't be worth it. a 600 perhaps. For that money I'd get a Pointman 9.

Soon as the words "national match" came outta his mouth I became skeptical. My brain was like, those are colt terms... The fit didn't seem to come close to any match 1911 I've seen, figured I would see what TFL had to say about it.

RickB

But the NM's do seem to command a bit of a premium. Rumor has it that their build quality is better, though that's anecdotal.

Very true. My IDPA club has taken part in Springfield's Top Gun match sponsorship program, and we've given away a ton of Springfields as prizes over the years. We bought five or six 1911s that had NM serial numbers, and a local gunsmith who handled them all was raving about the high quality, and where could he get some?