Used Ruger LCP

Sarge

I swapped into a reasonably clean, used LCP today. I ran it out for a test drive with the box of Tula brass-cased ball I got with the gun.

The little gun was dirty and dry but it chugged through 30 rounds of ball w/o complaint. It also shot much better than the several examples of these I’ve seen at qualifications and I was damned happy about that. All the following fired deliberately at various distances:

5 rounds at 7 yards
LCP_7_zps8974b379.png

5 rounds at 15 yards, plus 7 rounds at 25 yards.
LCP_15_25yds_zps75a9b3d5.jpg

Photos taken w/$39 cell phone. Mea culpa.

Kreyzhorse

Great gun. Mine eats everything and for what it is, it shoots very well. It can be a handful but if you practice you can become very good with it.

Mine sees a ton of pocket time. It is truely a go any place gun.

Elerius

Mine was very accurate despite the pull killing my finger. I had a problem with Blazer ammo. It worked, but the gun REALLY didn't want to extract those cases. All of them had torn mostly through the case rim in order to remove the shell. I've never looked it up but I'd be curious if you notice anything like that

SIMP

I can't tell by the photos but I wonder if that's the "new and improved" version? I have one of the newer ones and I love the trigger pull on it. Glad you're happy with it. Great little guns and one is with me 99% of the time I leave the house.

Sarge

I think maybe it is, SIMP. I was totally LCP dumb until I got this one and started reading up on them. Near as I can tell, if they have the hump rear sight they are the newer one. I'd welcome correction on that from anyone who knows better.

The trigger on this one was certainly no obstacle to accurate shooting, given the platform.

SIMP

I beleive the new models do not have a dash in the serial and the older models do include the dash.

Erikbal

I beleive the new models do not have a dash in the serial and the older models do include the dash.

That is correct. The 2013 models don't have a dash in the serial number and come with updated sights and a better trigger. I handled one the other day that my dad put on layaway and the triggers on the new ones are quite a bit better.

SIMP

Sarge,
As you know, they're good guns all around but the trigger on the newer models are a big improvement over the old. At least I think so. With the longer travel, one may argue that the model you have is safer. I just like how much easier the shorter trigger travel shoots.

Glad you got one. Enjoy her. Ms. Elsie Pea will take care of you.

SIMP

Hey Sarge, they make a grip the really integrates itself into the LCP frame and gives you a bit more to hang onto. It's this one: http://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Handall-Hybrid-Ruger-Sleeve/dp/B004Y8AYGE/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

I really like the way it feels on the gun but I don't like the way it feels in my pocket. It doesn't seem like that little difference in width would be a big deal but I do feel it. Just something you may want to look into if you have large hands.

Sarge

That is a very well thought-out grip sleeve.

I have medium size hands but wide, so I need a large or XL glove. I just crunch down on the grip with my obscene gesture finger and tuck everything else underneath.

To my thinking, the beauty of the LCP is its diminutive size, that it is reliable, that it shoots well and packs a good payload for a deep-cover gun.

I am reluctant to add anything that makes the gun bigger in any direction.

SIMP

That's why I ended up removing it from mine. The LCP is just too easy to carry. It is the perfect pocket gun for me and my needs.

Rifleman1776

My carry is an LCP. The beauty is that it works. Period.
My opinion is that on a carry gun sights are unnecessary. Under stress point and shoot is the order of the day. Sights can hang up on clothing preventing draw when needed.
Tula is what I use for practice and it works. Not my choice for defense but cheap. Actually carry ammo is Hornaday Critical Defense. I'll accept on faith it will perform as the ads say it will in a......uh......."critical defense" situation. Hope I never have to find out.
Congrats on your purchase.