Used rifles at Gander Mtn

edm1

Because I don't know propper GM etiquite, do they bargain on used rifle prices or are they set in stone?

Spahrtan

I've sold them a few guns. they inspect and give a value based on their assessment of the condition and the book value at that condition, minus a certain percent so they can sell for a profit. I've always gotten fair values from them, and on two occasions i got very good prices partially because im on a friendly first name basis with that particular clerk. Your best bet would probably be to have an amount you want ahead of time, and when you bring the gun in tell them your looking to get 10-15% more than that amount, if its reasonable they (at my store at least) will work with you.

EMT-Tom

I work for Gander Mountain. It depends on how badly they want to get rid of it. If it is fairly new to the floor, I wouldn't bother bargaining. But if it has been there a while and it's not selling, more than likely they will be willing to do a deal with you. Also if it's a really popular gun like a Rem 700 or Ruger 10/22, they get snapped up pretty quickly so negotiatting wouldn't really do you much good. If it's a lesser known or less popular make or model, more than likely they'll be willing to deal. Hope this helps.

Wingbone

I was with a friend at the Kingston NY Gander Mountain when he sold them a shotgun. We were told they pay 70% of what thier retail price will be. He told us if he pays $70 for a rifle, the next day it will be on the rack for $100. With this in mind, I would think they only have a certin amount of bargaining play. I hope this helps.
Ken

Gewehr98

I like the used guns that are in the illuminated glass cases, myself.

Although I doubt Gander would entertain much bargaining over those pieces. ;)

Kinzua

Dont know about you folks, but I have found the Gander Mountain stores (3 within about an hour of each other) in my part of Ohio to be ridiculously overpriced for both new and used firearms. Example new HK usp 9mm compact at GM $869, privately owned gun store about 5 miles away $669.
Used 7mm rem mag 700 bdl ss syn non embellished $789 with 2 huge dings on the barrel!!!!.

Moral of the story.....when it comes to firearms purchases I will always support my local gun shop first. GM is great for other items..got a 3 in1 parka on close out last month for $59 bucks good deal there, but the gun department is just too overpriced.

Spahrtan

I try to support local shops, but of the three on my side of town two are run by a collection of complete...well fill in the blank (sounds like casseroles). And the third is going out of buisness and rarely open. whereas my GM is staffed by very knowledgeable and friendly guys. Also, my good buddy bought a used single-shot .223, and while he payed the stickered price, the clerk threw in a brand new set very nice of rings, a hammer extension, and a quality sling free of charge. I can't say this is usual, we're good friends with half the firearms department there and they know we give them a lot of buisness, so they help us out.

firespec35

The gander mtn by my house is weird with used guns, it's both. I got my S&W 669 for $275. and I just saw a Kimber 3" (not exactly sure what model) for $405 yet I saw a beat to **** S&W 5906 for $575 and they had a S&W snubbie both used and new same model, the used was only $50 cheaper. Never looked at their rifels though

Smokey Joe

GM bargains

EMT Tom has it right--depends on how badly they want to be rid of the gun in question.

My best experience was with a Traditions "Hawken" BP rifle. Some years back, GM had a whole rack of these before deer season (Nov.) They still had some left in Dec, and I was very tempted by the price @ that time but stinginess won out. Boy was I glad in Jan. to find that they still had 3 of 'em at a "Pleeeeese take these away!" kind of price. One even had a longer LOP than the other 2, so that was the one I bought.

Can't remember the price, but it was notable in that I paid more for the adjustable rear sight for the rifle, than I did for the rifle itself! And paid with a smile, I might add. :)

Now, another time, there was a Ruger M 77 Mk II Target on their used gun rack, and it called my name out, loud & clear. I whined to the manager about how the gun was unsuited to hunting, and they'd have it on the rack forever, etc, etc, and I think he took $20 or so off, to get rid of me. Of course I snapped it up.

Any pusher can spot a junkie, I guess. :)