used rem 700 sps

stillquietvoice

i bought rem 700 sps in 7mm-08 with redfield revolution 4-12x40 scope. will be picking it up in a few weeks because my gun budget comes in small increments. the tag price was 565. dealer offered it to me for 525. ny tax included.
i went online and ran serial number to check if trigger had been recalled. the site daid it wasnt affected. so its either manufactured before april 06 or after 2014.
i read on another thread where the coating wore foff the owners bolt face. this rifle doesnt show any signs of wear. any thoughts on purchase.

jmr40

If made after 2006 and if it has a smooth trigger it is in the recall. A grooved trigger is not in the recall. Details here.

http://remington.com/pages/news-and...all-notice-Remington-model700-modelseven.aspx

There is a date code stamped on the barrel to determine when it was made. Details here.

http://remingtonsociety.com/rsa/questions/barrelcodes

Even if it were made prior to 2007, I'd replace the trigger on my own. Those made 1946-2006 had issues too. There is a recall in the works to replace those as well. I'd just go aftermarket and forget about it.

I think that is a good price including the scope and tax BTW

stillquietvoice

i checked serial no. font habe rifle in front of me to check barrel stamps. still in process of paying for it. just thought id get opinions on the gun package since its my first rem 700. i have or had 4 savage 110 111s. one win 670, and one ruger 77.

ndking1126

I think the price is good considering the scope.

I'll play the devil's advocate though. Timney does make an excellent trigger, but the ones that came out of the factory aren't exactly horrible. Especially if it's the older model you could pay to have it adjusted for a lot cheaper than replacing it. Those triggers can have an excellent feel when adjusted correctly. This would also mean a gunsmith was looking at it so in the incredibly small chance there is a problem it could be addressed right then.

Overkill777

I installed the timney trigger on my remington 700 and I feel it is worth every penny. Best trigger out of any gun I own.

ripnbst

Timney, recommend buying the trigger through arms unlimited. They have the best pricing I could find on Timney triggers for the 700. If you order during their Black Friday sale I think all Timney triggers through them are an additional 10% off.

stillquietvoice

ive never used after market triggers. hear good things about timneys. i usually get savage guns and got some great shooters. i couldnt pass on the rem though. cost less than trophy hunter xp too in the cal i wanted.

Rmart30

Price sounds fair. Save up for a timney. With a little looking you can find them for under $120 shipped and takes 5 minutes to install at home.

DAVID NANCARROW

Rather than send my rifle back to Remington and wait weeks/months for them to change out the trigger on my Long Range Rifle, I ordered up a Timney 510 and did it myself.

This is the first rifle trigger I have changed out and its so easy that you'll think you missed something. Almost takes longer to talk about it than it does to do it once you get the action out of the stock.

I call this instant gratification. The stock trigger was very inconsistent and wouldn't dial down past 4.1 pounds. Without touching an adjustment screw, the Timney breaks at 3 pounds even, very crisp, and very consistent.

There are a few different models of Timneys for the 700. Mine has the wide serrated trigger which I prefer, but some 700s might need a bit of file work where the trigger and bolt release come through the stock. Mine required none of that, but its also a Bell & Carlson M40 stock so there was enough room.

There are other Timney models which use a narrower trigger if that is a concern to you.

Road_Clam

I have two R700 SPS's that i've modded with the addition of better stocks. IMO the OEM triggers are just fine. I shoot 600-1000 yds with the stock triggers lightened up to produce a 3# pull. They work fine for me. If anything spend your saved dimes on a better stock. The SPS flexi-boing stocks are absolute garbage , but this is how Remington keeps the cost of the SPS low.

DAVID NANCARROW

Road Clam, I have a gently used mark x trigger that just didnt make the cut, and I am not super picky about such things. I ran the adjustment screw from end to end and it never would straighten up.

From the people I talk to, they either work well out of the box or they just don't. I don't care for the smooth trigger at all, but that might be because I am so used to the serrated triggers they used to put on them.

One of my sons has a mark x which he likes okay. I wanna see the expression on his face when he tries out the Timney.

Still using the Walker trigger on my old 308 and I have no issues with it-never did. The only thing I did to the walker after adjusting the pull weight is to clean and lube with lighter fluid after taking it out in the field, and cleaning the trigger has always been part of what I do with it when cleaning the bore.

I know there is a fertilizer storm about the Walker trigger, but I do suspect the majority of the malfunctions are caused by neglect as much as anything. Either that or I just got lucky!

stillquietvoice

thank you all for your input. mods will be done its just going to take time. my gun budget usually gets utilized for other nessasities. happy to be getting gun.