Used PPK at gun show, what to look for?

Kodyo

I'm going to a gun show on saturday in hopes of picking up a walther ppk for $400 or less.

From research, it seems there are 3 or 4 different makers (S&W, Interarms, and the original German/French).

I fully intend on this being a concealed carry pistol, so reliability is biggest issue.

S&W and interamrs seems to give people the most problems, so I should probably stay away from those?

Can someone give tell me what to completely avoid and what to look out for in particular as far as wear and common issues? Best models/makers?

I would like to avoid being scammed (obviously), So any information (links or first hand) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Coltman 77

There are a slew of threads right now on this forum about the unreliability of PPK/S's.

They are absolutely beautiful handguns but how they got their awesome reputation bewilders me.

I bought a .380 German PPK/S in 1974 and it was a jammomatic with both fmj and jhp.

Super Vel was the only jhp ammo available then. Anyone remember Super Vel?

If you want a small, uber reliable handgun, go with the Walther PPS.

It's super accurate and very reliable in 9mm.

IMO, Walther hit a homerun with the PPS. :D

That's the way you want to go Kodyo -- a 21st century handgun in a real service caliber.

.380 just doesn't cut it for a primary sidearm.

Kodyo

Awesome response. I'll check out the PPS ASAP.

Suggest anything else I could take a look at? I want something around the same size as the PPK. I've also looked at the Ruger LC9 and didn't much care for it.

PPS seems to be a little on the large size honestly for my needs.

I'd like to also know if there is a good PPK available, since there seems to be so many manufacturers. Or something similar style and size.

The pistol is going to be a range and carry gun, not just a light carry gun.

Last edited:

Dragline45

Kodyo

I have a newer S&W made PPK in .380, picked it up in December and have not had one failure to feed, fire, or eject. I remember being worried on the way to the range with it because of all the stories I read of people having theirs Jam on them constantly. I have about 600 rounds of random FMJ and a little over 200 rounds of Speer Gold Dots JHP through mine without a hitch.I also know of two other people who have S&W made PPK's from the past year or so and they have not had problems with theirs either. I know the earlier S&W made PPK's had a recall, so you might want to get your hands on that list before you buy used.

Also dont let anyone let you think .380 is not acceptable as a defensive caliber. I think its crazy to think that a projectile moving several hundred fps will not be lethal.

geetarman

I have had at one time or another a PPK, PPK/S, and a new PPK made by Smith and Wesson.

I had no problems with any of them.

I don't remember shooting the first two a lot but I have about 250 rounds through the new one. I have heard of some problems with the ones manufactured by Smith and Wesson. Mine has had no issues. I have shot two different weight bullets from two manufacturers and have had no failure to feed, fire or eject.

I have NOT tried any HP ammo. I have shot FMJ and flat point ammo.

No regrets buying mine.

Geetarman:D

Seaman

Used PPK at gun show, what to look for? [Kodyo]

Some things to look for:

1. - Slide to frame should be properly aligned and mate nice and flush at rear in and about hammer area.

2. - Remove slide - check firing pin by moving it forward, check loaded chamber indicator, both should move easily.

3. - Check barrel to frame fit, should be rock solid, it is a fixed barrel design.

Visually check for signs of any excessive wear or damage, i.e. chamber area, etc

Things you may have to replace: Safety lever - hard to tell if its in good shape without removing it, or shooting the gun. If worn it will switch on while gun is being shot, thus locking things up...if so, must replace.
Barrel - if its bad and I've had bad ones that looked beautiful when a light was shone inside but were bad. Again must be replaced.

A talented amateur can do the repair work, but a gunsmith is advised.

The PPS

A terriffic pistol that I would have except for one thing...its about 4.5" high, the PPK is just under 4" and works great in an ankle holster which is where I like to carry a BUG. I don't think the PPS would work in an ankle holster, but maybe Coltman 77 has experience with this style of carry.

.380 vs 9mm...well, I agree with Coltman, 9mm wins.

In the $400 range its hard to think of another pistol which is as good as a very good condition PPK, you should be able to find one.

Best of luck...the PPK takes the average shooter and turns her/him into a very good one.

Kodyo

This appears to be the list of recalled S&W PPKs.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...4_750001_750051_757981_-1_757978_757978_image

They mention a "punch dot," I assume if I see one with marking that it is ok to purchase.
Is there a similar walther pistol that is more reliable than the .380 model ppk?

I'll see what I come up with when I go and report back here.
Do you think it's doable to get a very good condition PPK for $400? My LGS has a very crappy one for $400 and a brand new one for $525.

I guess I should try to find some video guides, as I have no idea how to check half of those things. But definitely a good direction to start.
Thank you.

Seaman

"Do you think it's doable to get a very good condition PPK for $400?" Kodyo

Yes. It will have to be an Interarms or S&W, the German ones will cost you more.

Ask the Seller at the gunshow to take the gun down for you, its simple, he should be happy to do it...if he doesn't want to --- avoid purchase.

Yes, do check the web for videos.

Good luck.

Kodyo

Awesome. I hope to find a stainless one because the sights are easier to see. I plan to just bring cash and leave the credit card at home for obvious reasons :D

Would you say the S&W models are more reliable than the Interarms ones? Or are they about on par?

JH

I'm happy for those who have reliable PPKs. I've owned German and American PPKs. Was never able to find one that was reliable. Consider the Sig 230/232 series. Similar design and much more reliable.

Kodyo

The sig p232 looks great. Definitely around the same style. With some nice wood grips I could definitely see myself carrying one. Thanks for the suggestion.

Magyar

S&W and interamrs seems to give people the most problems, so I should probably stay away from those?
I take mine out every weekend, fire couple of boxes of FMJ with some JHP's thrown in for good measure...Never a malfunction until I used some Browning Shorts from Hungary that jammed up on each mag...A disgrace from my former country....I can't speak against the S&W; don't own one...Too many comments from Internet Commando's who believe everything thrown out on the forums..
The bloody slide-hammer bite is way over-blown by many that have never fired the the damn pistol...Easy fix BTW if it's a problem..The fixed barrel gives you amazing accuracy to make up for the person holding it...:)InterArms will give the best for the dollars spent...
WaltherOstrich2.jpg

Kodyo

OK, I think my game plan will be to try to get the Sig P232 and some wood grips if I can get one for around $400. If I can't, I'll try to get an Interarms or S&W Walther PPK, which ever one is cheaper.

Thanks for all the help, has proven very helpful so far for me.

NWCP

I have two PPK/S German models. Both have been reliable and are beautifully crafted pistols. I don't use either for carry. I prefer a 9mm over .380, or .22LR. Reliability hasn't been an issue with either of mine, but you do need to find the ammo they prefer. If you had the money (they don't come cheap) the 9mm Walther P5 is a great pistol.

Auto426

I can probably extend to $500. What does the p232 usually go for?

For $500 you can get a new PPK, and get a gun that comes with a lifetime warranty and the excellent customer service of S&W. Bud's has new stainless PPK's for $508 shipped.

twhidd

I've read in different places that the PPK in 32ACP was a more reliable pistol than one in 380; generally speaking of course. Has anyone else ever heard that?