Used Kel-Tec Sub 2000 or New High Point Carbine?

Used Kel-Tec Sub 2000 or New Hi Point Carbine?

• New Hi-Point Carbine

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • Used Kel-Tec Sub 2000

Votes: 53 80.3%

• Total voters

Delaware_Dan

My shop has a used Kel-Tec Sub 2000 in good condition, (S&W Mags) and a new High Point Carbine for the same price. Since the price of Beretta Storms went through the roof, I am down to these 2 carbines. Which one would you choose? This (the Sub 2000) is the one that takes S&W mags. They want $250 for it, and I did everything I could to walk out of there with just ammo today. How are these things? Reliable? I haven't found any reviews good or bad. The price is great, I just don't know the first thing about them.

If there are any other 9mm carbines that I am overlooking please let me know.

-Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

WC145

For $250 you can't go wrong and you'll never lose money. Also, with the S&W version you can set it up to take Beretta or SIG mags just by changing the mag release.

I have one that takes Beretta mags, very reliable, fun to shoot, handier than anything else out there and way more accurate than it has a right to be (off hand headshots at 50yds all day long). I had no troouble qualifying with it on our patrol rifle course.

Kel-tec makes a decent gun at a decent price and they have the best warranty and service in the business. I've owned several over the years and at the moment have the SUB-2000, a PLR-16, and a P3AT, and they are all keepers.

Delaware_Dan

Wow, I thought for sure there would be some bashing, but after seeing the going price on GB I'm gonna pick this one up. Thanks

lowbud

I have the high-point 995. The first thing I got rid of was the stock. Can we say UGLY! anyway. It takes all the abuse I can toss its way. I would have to say I have somewhere near 5000 rounds through it and it's still going strong. I hardly ever clean it and it will shoot anything and everything in sight.. Don't know about the kel-tek as I only own their pistols.. no probs there tho..

FlyboyTx

Sub 2K and SW Mags

Had one, with about 10 SW mags for several years. This was my "car gun" set up. Very easily concealable, foldable, transportable, etc. Really enjoyed owning, shooting it, and never had any issues. Sold it to buy my first .223 (Bushmaster M4).

I'm not fixed where I can own very many multiples of any given thing (finances), so would have one if I could, but not for now.

IMHO you would not go wrong w/the Kel-tec.

FBT

ISC

the fact that keltecs take high cap mags is enough to decide it for me, the fact that you can replace the mag catch so that it will take the high cap mag of your choice makes the keltec even better.

I have a marlin camp 9 I'm very pleased with. I like it more than my keltec. I had an uzi carbine with folding stock I never liked. I saw a Suomi 9mm semiauto carbine which is fed from $20 drum magazines and cheap stick mags. I'd like to have one of them.

Sevens

I had heard where the Kel-Tec can also take Glock magazines.

Is this true? If so, why would anyone want one that takes Sig, Beretta or S&W mags? Obviously, if you have a Sig, Beretta or Smith, you have those mags. If you don't have any, isn't the Glock mag the easiest choice?

Prevalent, cheap and the most obvious answer: the Glock 33 round mag?

I'm interested.

Capt_Vin

I have been the proud and happy owner of a Hi-Point .9mm ( and a Hi-Point .40 for 2yrs) for 3 yrs now and the only 3 complaints I have (on both) are that it has a non-adjustable heavy trigger pull (mine weighs in at 7.9lbs) it is only a 10 shot and extra mags are hard to find, and is kind of a biotch to strip down to clean. Besides that, I have run thousands of rounds thru em, without a single malfunction and unless I use +p+ ammo (mfg. states it can safely be used, but I think accuracy suffers with it), I can place a 1"-1.5" grouping at 50-100 yards consistantly.

WC145

I had heard where the Kel-Tec can also take Glock magazines.

Is this true? If so, why would anyone want one that takes Sig, Beretta or S&W mags? Obviously, if you have a Sig, Beretta or Smith, you have those mags. If you don't have any, isn't the Glock mag the easiest choice?

Prevalent, cheap and the most obvious answer: the Glock 33 round mag?

I'm interested.

The one that takes Glock mags ONLY takes Glock mags. Any of the others can be altered to use either SIG, Beretta, or S&W mags, just by changing the mag release. Mine takes Beretta mags and I've got 15, 18, and 30rd mags for it and 20's are available also. I don't know about the SIG's and S&W's but you can probably get "extra" hi-cap mags or at least +1 or +2 base plates for them.

Delaware_Dan

I bought the Kel-tec yesterday, and man, it's a slick little gun. The girlfriend like it too which is a huge plus. I will keep you posted as to how it shoots. Thanks for all the responses guys!