Used Glock 19s: Non-existent?

TunnelRat

Hey all,
This isn't really a question, more of an observation. There is what can only be described as a massive gun store near me that has hundreds of used firearms and just as many new. Over months I have noticed one thing: there are never any trade in Glock 19s. Basically every other model of Glock makes its way through there with multiple at a time, from rarer GAP and 10 mm models to the standard Glock 17, but not the 19. In other smaller gun stores near me it is the same situation, if they have a used Glock it is not a 19. One store had a shipment of used Glock 19 police trade ins that was gone in 2 weeks. Even budsgunshop lately has been in the same boat. Given that the 19 is one of the most popular models of Glock, from what I've heard, this seems odd.

What is it about the Glock 19 that seems, at least from what I can see, to cause people to hold onto it more than the other models?

-TR

moose_nukelz

IMO, the 19 is one of the best all around auto's on the market and does everything very well. The gun is very affordable, comes with 15 round magazines in non-gun hating states and will accept up to a 33 round mag, is extremely reliable and has a ton of aftermarket options available, is small and light enough to carry concealed and big enough to feel like a full size. I know it doesn't have the fit and finish of other guns on the market but will perform just as well if not better than guns costing a lot more.

Wuchak

It's one of those guns that does about everything right and once people have one they can always find a use for it. It's kind of like the S&W 642. I never see those for sale used and there are a lot of them out there. Come to think of it a G19 and S&W 642 would cover just about every conceivable non-woods CCW and handgun home defense role between them very well.

AustinTX

A good number of used G19s show up in my LGS. There are more than 40 used G19s on Gunbroker right now, too.

Te Anau

Used Glock 19s: Non-existent?
I assume you're talking more about LEO trade-ins and the like.I've wondered that as well.If I ever give Glock another chance it will be for a screamin deal on a used 19.

TunnelRat

You folks are lucky you can find one.

I recently decided that my next purchase will be a Glock 19. In searching around I did find two today. One is a Gen 3 LEO turn in from the Virginia Beach Sheriff's department, the other is someone's personal Gen 2. Both seem in decent shape, though the Gen 3 has some obvious holster wear.

Don Glock

used 19's are hard to find locally. the gen2's are the hardest. ed's public safety in GA seems to get the gen2's fairly frequently though (somehow lol). i almost FFL transferred one from them recently. decided on a gen4 23 though lol

the 40cals are the ones i see most used. especially the 27. the snappy recoil bothers some folks. i won't make fun of people for that, everyone's different. :)

Wuchak

Since the Gen 3's are selling used on GB for within $100 of new and Gen 2's within $150 it's hardly worth searching for one used.

Don Glock

ed's sells the used gen2 19/23's for $359. not bad, especially considering they're hard to find. they get some cherry ones in too that look like they were never issued to an officer (they're mostly LE trade in).

TunnelRat

@ Don
I know the build differences between the generations in terms of features but is there anything else that makes one gen preferable over another?

dpetreikis

I've noticed that too. Hard to find good used G19s. (I hate buying new) Took me months until my LGS got one. Now, they've also got a nice used SIG P228 (also hard to find). :)

Viper99

Used Glocks normally run about 350. My dealer has the new ones for 495 so for the difference, I would just buy new.

I have actually been thinking about trading in my G27 and putting in the difference for a new 19.

threegun

Fastest selling used model Glock in our shop. So good nobody wants to part with them. So we have 10 folks looking and 1 dummy selling LOL. Supply and demand on the bad for the buyer side.

Don Glock

@ Don
I know the build differences between the generations in terms of features but is there anything else that makes one gen preferable over another?

the most prominent feature that seems to make the gen2's so desirable is the lack of finger grooves.

there's others, of course, non-lci extractors, 2pins vs. 3, etc...but most like the grip.

TunnelRat

@ Viper
$350? Pfft, not around here. The used ones I do find, of the few there are, are still $400 or up.

As for getting new, that's the way I am leaning right now. Some questions on that:

1. Is there any advantage of the Gen 3 over the Gen 4 besides the backstraps? Yes I have read the negative reports on the Gen 4, but I feel like those issues are likely resolved at this point. Personally I don't need feel like I need the backstraps as I like it how it is.

2. Are factory night sights worth it? This would be a home defense/carry gun.