used 870 choke question

Driveout02

Just put a used 870 Wingmaster on layaway, wanted it b/c it's a 26" (what I wanted for inbetween home defense/hunting use), and could shoot 3" (some of the other used ones were only 2 3/4"). BUT, I did notice the choke tube that was in the barrel only had two notches for the wrench (not four like the rem-choke). I assume this means it was done by a smith (not at the factory). Are most choke tubes interchangeable, is there a brand that's better than the rest, etc.? Sorry.. I've owned a few shotguns, but I'm still relatively new to this. Is there a choke tube FAQ floating around out there?

~Jake.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
A, it could be an after market substitute for a Remchoke.

or B, it could be any of a host of others.

The systems do not interchange.

Many older 870 barrels were set up for the old Truchoke system.. Many of these do not have enough metal where it counts to use Remchokes. If that barrel is not set up for Remchokes, Truchokes are the next most likely option.

Truchokes use a .744"x44 TPI thread,IIRC. They often are two notched.

Among others, Colonial, Hastings and Carlson's carry Truchoke tubes. All are class acts.

HTH....

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
That'd be the first thing to check.

After that, it may be necessary to match it with different choke tubes ot see what it may be.

Most likely though, it's either a Remchoke or Truchoke.

bcarver

barrel markings

Remington barrels should be stamped with the choke type (full, mod, imp,skeet etc) I think the Rem-choke barrels have "RC" on them.
If your barrel has full or mod type marking it was converted by a smith.
Most smiths will be able to tell you what kind of choke if it is not written on the tube.