Use of Reloads in New Gun

LBussy

I hesitated and thought about where to post this ... I searched the forum and most handgun "break-in" threads are in the respective "Semi-Automatic" or "Revolver" forums. This one is a little different and I am posting here because I need an experienced reloader's perspective. It's a given that an experienced reloader is experienced with firearms - the reverse is not.

Anyway; I'm waiting for my new Colt Gold Cup Trophy to be delivered. My typical range visit is a few hundred of my reloads. In .45, this means either 230g lead ball or 185g lead SWC. Noting that this is is a range gun, not SD, and this is the ammo I will expect it to eat: Is this reasonable to use for my first few hundred rounds or should I find some plated or jacketed? (I don't want to get into a philosophical question about whether break-in is required though.)

hounddawg

I always break in a new gun with factory ammo for the first 50 rounds or so. That way if there is an issue it cannot be blamed on my reloads. Just my 2 cents worth

5whiskey

I see no need to look for plated or jacketed. My first 300-400 rounds through my last pistol purchase was lead. Did no harm and had no leading.

I can see hounddawg's point. I don't personally do that, but I won't say that it's unwise.

NoSecondBest

I've owned a half dozen custom built handguns that cost 2g+, and none of them ever saw a factory round while I owned them. There's nothing magical or better about factory over good reloads.

reddog81

If you bought the gun to shoot lead loads I don't know why you would need to start with something else. I recently picked up a circa 2012 Colt GCNM. It has seen nothing but lead since I purchased it and it hadn't been use much before that.

mikld

I have two reasons to use factory ammo in a new gun. First to test function. If my new gun works well with factory ammo, it will work with my reloads. And second, I sometimes don't have brass for my new gun and one box will hold me over 'till I can build a stash of appropriate brass...

BTW; I haven't purchased any factory ammo in 19 years, the last time I bought a gun with a new to me caliber...

David R

No problem. I hope.

I had a friend that bought a new gold cup. He Just got into shooting bullseye and handloading.

He sent the gun back twice because it would not function.

Bottom line, he was using unique when he thought it was Bullseye.

I have guns that have shot thousands or more and never saw factory ammo.

David

USSR

He sent the gun back twice because it would not function.

Bottom line, he was using unique when he thought it was Bullseye.

Scary. Don't stand too close to your friend while he's shooting.

Don

LBussy

Thanks gents. Seemed reasonable that if that was going to be it's diet permanently, starting it out on that would be fine. If I get any issues I'll switch to some factory hardball just to rule out my loads - but I'm confident in this batch.

NoSecondBest

Check your warranty. I know some rifle makers that say reloads void the warranty.
All gun makers say that....rifle or handgun. It's a catch-all phrase for them to void your warranty because some idiots do stupid things reloading and blow guns up. If you send it back for something less than catastrophic failure, don't tell them you shoot reloads. If you do, you're begging to have your repair declined even if it had nothing to do with reloads.

HiBC

If you are competent and conscientious with your handloading, IMO,its like packing your own parachute.
And no,I don't trust Brother in Law's friend to do either. (I'm not a parachutist)

Important to loading cast bullets is fit. Bore dia + to bore dia plus .001 or a bit more is the happy place.
You do not want gas leaking around your bullets. That is root cause of most "leading"

I like the 200 gr Semi-wadcutters.

higgite

I take a new gun to the range with a box of factory ammo and some of my reloads. The first 25 rounds or so through the gun are factory ammo. If anything is wrong with the gun out of the box, I want to be able to say in good conscience that it malfunctions on factory ammo. If there are no problems with the factory, I try my reloads. If there is a problem while shooting my reloads, I go back to factory ammo to confirm whether or not my reloads are at fault. If all goes well, it's reloads forever after. (except in carry pistols, but let's don't go there in this thread)

Jim Watson

I would either
1. Fire it the first time out with factory loads. If the gun is defective, you can return it with a straight face.
2. If you want to start out as you mean to go on, plunk check your reloads in THAT barrel.

RC20

I like to run some FMJ loads through just to test function with factory.

A couple of clips, then the hand loads to see if they cycle and feed ok.

Agree on the never mention reloads.

I don't have a problem lying when the reloads are not complicit.

Bad rounds and its all on me.

Last edited:

Nick_C_S

I always break in my semi-autos with factory ammo (200 rounds minimum - with a cleaning in between). That way, if there's a problem and I have to contact the manufacturer (and I had to once), I can tell them with a straight voice that I have used factory ammo. Specifically, I use Winchester White Box, if available.

I don't bother with my revolvers. First, they're revolvers. Second, they're Smith & Wessons. There's not going to be a problem.

snakeye

I always test a new gun with a variety of commercial ammo and my own reloads. I like knowing how my guns perform with all kinds of bullet weights, shapes and loads. Once I'm satisfied then the gun is fed a steady diet of my own ammo and rarely see any commercial ammo again.

condor bravo

I have two .45 Colt Gold Cups that hardly has seen anything other than cast 185 and 165 gr SWC's. (The 165s are from a H&G mold). All is well until trying some more exotic bullets. Sometimes magazines can be at fault with certain bullets.

I was hoping that your new Colt Gold Cup was going to be .38 Special caliber but I guess those are hard to find now.

Last edited:

LBussy

I have two .45 Colt Gold Cups that hardly has seen anything other than cast 185 and 165 gr SWC's. (The 165s are from a H&G mold). All is well until trying some more exotic bullets. Sometimes magazines can be at fault with certain bullets.

I was hoping that your new Colt Gold Cup was going to be .38 Special caliber but I guess those are hard to find now.
I use Checkmate Hybrid magazines in my other 1911's and have not had any issues with feeding just about any reasonable bullet. I've "heard" that Checkmate is the OEM for Colt.

To my feeble mind, an auto is a .45 and a wheel gun is a .38/.357. I probably would not have even thought about purchasing it in .38 special. I think the Trophy was made available in .38 Super and .45 though.