USC initial thoughts

jawper

Greetings all,

Just picked up my new-to-me USC in 45 ACP. Very excited to get to the range and try it out. The original owner stated that he only fired the carbine during one secession putting about 50 rounds through the weapon.

Since I'm just getting started on the long gun side of things (mostly a pistol guy until recently), I thought I'd see if more experienced hands (specifically other USC owners) might have any input.

I'm thinking about preparation for my first trip to the range. My instinct is:

- Disassemble
- Follow the manual's instructions for "normal cleaning" using MPro7 on the bore and anywhere else that needs a scrubbing. Leave a thin coat of Miltec on everything metal.
- Shoot the hell out of it and follow the "normal cleaning" routine again before putting it away.

Pretty simple stuff but I'm wondering if anyone feels there's something I should add to the regimen. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

jwise

Hey Jawper, Nice selection!

I would recommend pointing your browser to http://www.hkpro.com and check out the discussion boards, try under HK Long-gun talk. You'll find a ton of guys who own the USCs, and would be more than willing to talk about them. Over here, it seems like USC owners are few and far between.

HK, in a world of compromize, some men don't!

J. Wise

jawper

J. Wise,

Thanks for the response. I'm pretty psyched with the purchase.

I've posted the same enquiry to HKPro (a fantastic place to learn). Like you, I've noticed a paucity of USC discussion here at TFL but the depth of expertise here is such that I thought it would be worth the chance.

Btw, your dating yourself with your HK quote. They changed it to "In a world of compromise, some don't" a while back to appear more PC. ;-) Funny world.

Thanks again.

Badger Arms

Know about the Recall?

Just wondering if you knew about the bolt handle problems they were having? This gun might or might not have the problem, but might want to do the research and find out.

jawper

Badger Arms,

Thanks for thinking of that. I checked with the seller before we did the deal. FOund out that the gun had not been sent back yet. I'm leaning toward holding off a while before I send it in. I figure I can hold off on slaping the bolt handle.

Thanks again.

Bruegger

Good school, but in a lousy neighborhood

I'd recommend UCLA over USC if you're concerned about living in a high-crime area.

Oh, not THAT USC?