US Supreme Court decision; where to find it?

Numbers

I'm looking for the text (or at least a good syllabus) or case number of a Supreme Court decision that many say tells us that the police have no duty to protect us.

A url to it will be appreciated.

Joe

riddleofsteel

http://supct.law.cornell.edu/supct/hermes.search.html#MUSCAT

------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what is for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
Let he that hath no sword sell his garment and buy one. Luke 22-36
They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night. Song of Solomon 3-8
The man that can keep his head and aims carefully when the situation has gone bad and lead is flying usually wins the fight.

[This message has been edited by riddleofsteel (edited March 26, 2000).]

riddleofsteel

finally got the link to work. enter your search topic in the cornell supreme court engine. exp. gunlaws, second amendment rights, right to self defense ect. great site.

------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what is for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
Let he that hath no sword sell his garment and buy one. Luke 22-36
They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night. Song of Solomon 3-8
The man that can keep his head and aims carefully when the situation has gone bad and lead is flying usually wins the fight.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Numbers: There are two (so far as I know) US *District* Court decisions which (sfIk) were not appealed. One in WashDC and one in Oklahoma.

You might try emailing the NRA and also sofmag.com to see if they have more info. I know SOF referenced it, or James Pate did in one of his articles for them.

Also, the US Supreme Court has all its cases on a website. I don't have it bookmarked on this computer, but I found it via a Yahoo search. It'll be a dot-gov site...

Hope this helps, Art

Jeff OTMG

A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen.
District of Columbia Courts
444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

Is that what you are looking for?

Numbers

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff OTMG:

District of Columbia Courts
444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

Is that what you are looking for?
[/quote]

Jeff, indeed it is! Thank you. No wonder I couldn't find it searching Supreme Court decisions; it's a District of Columbia court decision.

Is there any chance you know where I can obtain the decision?

Joe

[This message has been edited by Numbers (edited March 27, 2000).]

Jeff OTMG

I think the decision came down in about 1986 and findlaw only has the DC Circuit back to about 1995. There is a forum on findlaw, why don't you post it there to see if any of the legal eagles know where to locate it. You could also try posting on this forum to LawDog and see if he knows.

That's it, DC had it on one of those pages:
Warren v. District of Columbia (1983)

[This message has been edited by Jeff OTMG (edited March 27, 2000).]