US Pocket Pistols vs. Everyone Else

ligonierbill

I have been gathering some old .32 pistols, revolvers too, but this thread is for .32 ACP pocket pistols. Everybody wants a PPK, and I suppose I will eventually own one. I do have a Mauser HSc that's pretty nice and a CZ-50 that is reliable and sturdy, but I'm more impressed with what the US makers produced "before my time". Recently acquired a 1903 Colt and got the chance to try it today. What an elegant pistol! Accurate, too, and you just can't beat a single action trigger. "Coming soon" are a Remington 51 (the old one) and a Savage 1917. Memory is fading, but isn't the Savage the pistol carried by the hit man chasing Tom Hanks in "The Road to Perdition"? We shall see how those stack up, but they certainly look interesting. What am I leaving out? Man, that little Colt makes me want to go out and buy its big "John Moses Browning" brother.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I would make it sooner rather than later. Those guns used to be pretty cheap, but have been discovered by collectors and the better ones are increasing in value. They can still be found at good prices if the buyer is willing to take one in so-so outward condtion, but the really nice ones are bringing close to or over $1000 vs $600 only a couple of years ago.

Jim

PSP

My only American made .32 is a Seecamp. It's been with me a long time, goes where I go.

My others come from abroad, but I appreciate their quality as well. My favorite is the Sig P230, followed close by the Walther PP. A Llama Especial rounds out group. All fun guns, good and reliable. I'd like to add a Beretta 81 and maybe a Bersa and definitely a Walther PPK.

Sid

I used to have a collection of old .32 ACP pistols which I sold some years ago and I regret it. However, I did keep my First Model, 1903 Colt. This thing is built like a tank and is a lot of fun to shoot. I have put many thousands of handloads through it without any problems. Of course, it was also the pistol carried by Humphrey Bogart so what else need I say.

I am still stuck on .32's and recently acquired a CZ 27 made during World War II. Like the Colt this gun is also a lot of fun to shoot. It is single action, has a light trigger and is reasonably accurate. It is rugged and easy to maintain. You can still get these for a reasonable price.

Another pistol I would recommend if you want to build a collection is the Browning Model 1900. This was his first design of an autoloader and it's well made and reliable. They are fairly common at gun shows.

DogTrot

I suppose I'll be roasted for this one. But I bought a .32 Jimenez and have been working up some lead and fmj loads for it. I really like it's stylish looks and it seems well enough made. From the couple of hundred of rounds through it so far, it is pretty accurate. I've run Winchester, Remington, 71 grs and they are real soft shooting. I've loaded some cowboy 78 gr round nose and and am working to find just the right combo of powder and bullet weight.

I had a fluff and buff done on the trigger to make it nice and crisp and I keep a little lube in just the right places. Seems to work just fine. Fun to shoot, little pocket gun.

Made in Las Vegas. Merica.