US Army Testing of the G3 rifle

davidsog

Came across this report. Thought it was interesting.

Zero stoppages and all malfunctions had to be artificially induced.

Similar to the FN-FAL, the HK93 prototype sent to the US Army for testing had a bolt hold open function that was eliminated in the service variant.

The US Army fired an average years worth of ammunition so the data is comparable to other US Army reports.

Attachments

• USA_test_HKRifles.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 187

TimW77

"Came across this report. Thought it was interesting.
Similar to the FN-FAL, the HK93 prototype sent to the US Army for testing had a bolt hold open function that was eliminated in the service variant.
The US Army fired an average years worth of ammunition so the data is comparable to other US Army reports."

You might want to check your facts and model numbers...

T.

davidsog

You might want to check your facts and model numbers...

Specific facts you think are wrong makes a discussion easier.

For example:

L1A1 and the entire Commonwealth...
In other words, the majority of FN-FAL in military service.

The US Army fired an average years worth of ammunition so the data is comparable to other US Army reports."

610 rounds of fire represents an average year of use for service rifle testing.

Direct quote from the report...

6f2s10.png

In other words, the only malfunction that induced a stoppage was the result of artificially modification of the bolt to study the effect of rate of fire changes.

Maybe your are confused on what I actually said?

davidsog

From the US Army M-14 Cost Analysis:

epqakp.jpg

610 Ball + 50 Tracer + 150 Blank = 810 rounds per Year average

270 days between Failures = 270 days /365 days = .739

.739 * 810 Rounds per year = 600 Rounds Between Failures with an Average of .6 hours to repair the failure

T. O'Heir

"...Similar to the FN-FAL..." The only similarities between 'em is the chambering and weight.
"...the US Army M-14..." The U.S. adopted the M-14 for political reasons. The FN beat the M-14 in every test except accuracy during the mid 50's trials.
"...fired an average years worth of ammunition..." Your tax dollar in action. That report was just ABERDEEN playing with stuff. The G3 had been in service for 10 years by 1969.

davidsog

Similar to the FN-FAL..." The only similarities between 'em is the chambering and weight.

Read what was written before commenting please and take what was written in CONTEXT. Otherwise you transform a truth into a fantasy of your own creation.

Thanks! ;)

What was written:

"...the US Army M-14..." The U.S. adopted the M-14 for political reasons. The FN beat the M-14 in every test except accuracy during the mid 50's trials.

Maybe..Maybe not..and if you find that testing report would love to discuss the data in it.

"...fired an average years worth of ammunition..." Your tax dollar in action. That report was just ABERDEEN playing with stuff. The G3 had been in service for 10 years by 1969.

And I am not sure what point is being made here. It was a controlled test of the rifle with measured results. I fail to see how that fact effects anything. The G3 is still in service with the Bundeswehr and in still in service with many Armies in the world. It is still being produced for Military Contracts. The M14 was recently put back into service in the GWOT. I carried one and it is a great MBR.

The information present in the report is interesting. What it is not is an attack on your favorite rifle. It is simply factual information and things are what they are....no emotional nostalgia required or desired.

:)

50 shooter

I think what he was getting at is the rifles, a G3 is not the same as a 93. The G3 is .308/7.62 and the 93 is .223/5.56.

davidsog

I think what he was getting at is the rifles, a G3 is not the same as a 93. The G3 is .308/7.62 and the 93 is .223/5.56.

Again, the similarity being the bolt hold open function. Like the FN-FAL, the bolt hold open function was eliminated in many service models. Is it somehow invalid because the HK93 is a different caliber??

No it is not.

The point being that a bolt hold open function is not considered all that desirable in European Armies. A bolt hold open function is an American thing.

I thought it was interesting that HK put one on the prototype.

Last edited:
Interesting read, thanks for posting. I like the G3 so much, I made my own out of a PTR 91 pistol. A few months wait for the tax stamp to attach the stock was worth it. Draws a lot of attention any time I take it to the range.

The HK G3 is, without getting too into detail, a SBR version of the HK91. Basically the 7.62x51mm HK version of the US M4.
And yes, it’s a roller delayed blow back design that chunks empty brass into the next county. Has a fluted chamber so it still runs even when really really dirty. But, the brass isn’t in the best shape for reloading if you’re into that.

Yes, it is heavy, but it’s all steel. I’d say it’s the same or lighter than a M14 or Garand. Have to remember, aluminum wasn’t what it is now back in the 50’s when this was designed.

davidsog

I guess what stands out there is that it (7.62) is a heavy bugger.

The 7.62mm Main Battle rifles are heavier as a result of their cartridge and design purpose.

They all weigh the same.

G3:

168ad6x.jpg

10.81lbs loaded

FN-FAL:

25k3exe.jpg

9.25lbs empty

Loaded Magazine = 1 lbs 9.74oz

9.74 oz / 16 oz = .6lbs

Loaded Magazine = 1.6lbs

9.25lbs + 1.6lbs = 10.85lbs for the Loaded rifle

M14 rifle:

nxo0sz.jpg

11lbs - .27 lbs for the sling = 10.73lbs

One could argue that the G3 has the heavier wood furniture and is lighter with the polymer, the FN-FAL would be lighter with polymer magazine or without carrying handle, the M14 could have been measured with the leather sling..etc...etc...etc

In the end the tiny fractions going back and forth does not change the fact that in any practical way, the rifles all weigh the same.

It is like the recoil impulse. The M14 and the G3 have the exact same recoil impulse as measured by the US Army. I am sure the FN-FAL is right there with them.

Why? Physics...same weight, same energy = same result. That is assuming properly set up and maintained rifle.

I like the G3 so much, I made my own out of a PTR 91 pistol.

Outside of the MP-5 which was the only real choice for so long if you wanted a modern sub gun...I was not a fan of the Roller Delay designs. For one thing, it lacked a bolt hold open function. I can remember as a private in 1/75th everybody just running down the AK47 and MP-5 for that reason. We had reload contest, etc....

It was only after seeing them in use on the battlefield, having to maintain the weapons as well as train soldiers using them, that I really came to respect the design. Familiarity did not breed contempt.

davidsog

The HK G3 is, without getting too into detail, a SBR version of the HK91.

No, I think you made a typo.

This is factually incorrect if we are talking the G3 rifle. The G3 is the military service rifle variant of the HK91. It is the difference between the M14 and the M1A.

The only difference in the G3/HK91 is the trigger group and housing on the HK91 is clipped, shelved, and the pin removed to eliminate the full auto functionality.

Because the magazine release paddle shares the same pin housing, it was also eliminated on the HK91. Aftermarket redesigns are available to reinstall the paddle release and it comes standard on many clones.

Last edited:

davidsog

Interesting read, thanks for posting. I like the G3 so much, I made my own out of a PTR 91 pistol. A few months wait for the tax stamp to attach the stock was worth it. Draws a lot of attention any time I take it to the range.

Nice! The SBR versions of the G3 are:

G3k series = just a slightly shorter barrel variant sort of like the 16in FN-FAL's. Was used in service for Armour crews IIRC

HK51 = 9" or so barrel, looks like a larger MP-5. Never used in any service and is most useful for pissing off the guy next to you on the range, LOL.

Looks very cool.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/805515996

There is a bewildering amount of variants on the Roller Delayed Rifles. It is another Barbie Doll for men!

https://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=127

You are correct mine is a G3K clone with a 12” barrel. I finally found a linear comp with the right threads to replace the flash hider. Much more enjoyable shooting experience for the shooter and bystanders. Just wouldn’t want to shoot it in low light/nighttime conditions.

Geezerbiker

The HK G3 is, without getting too into detail, a SBR version of the HK91. Basically the 7.62x51mm HK version of the US M4.
And yes, it’s a roller delayed blow back design that chunks empty brass into the next county. Has a fluted chamber so it still runs even when really really dirty. But, the brass isn’t in the best shape for reloading if you’re into that.

Yes, it is heavy, but it’s all steel. I’d say it’s the same or lighter than a M14 or Garand. Have to remember, aluminum wasn’t what it is now back in the 50’s when this was designed.
I suppose the ruined brass isn't a problem for the military but it is for me...

Tony

With plenty of milsurp ammo available, I didn’t care too much about the brass. It’s not a precision rifle, but a battle rifle. I no longer own any other .308 rifles so don’t intend to load .308/7.62x51