training. He said his .45 training
consisted of two clips. That's right.
Back then it was clips, no magazines.

Now, when that film was made, it
no doubt was more important how
you laced the puttees. Sloppy
puttees, bad bad soldier.

paknheat

I enjoy seeing those old training films when they pop up.

Makes me want a 1911 again. The .45 tracers were pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sharkbite

Hornady used to make pistol tracers. We used em at Front Sight during a night shoot demo. Lots of wow factor from those that had never seen em.

Somebody used to make birdshot with a tracer element in it...

JustJake

Tracers have been blamed, rightly or
wrongly, for starting fires at in-door ranges.
They're great fun for shooting at coyotes .... or even the neighbor's dog when the idjit lets it run at large across your property. :rolleyes:

HiBC

Tracers can and do start fires.
Once a fire starts.there is no telling how many thousand acres,homes,and businesses will burn.
We shooters face enough bad PR we really don't need the headlines "Fires caused by shooters firing tracer ammunition"
Thats one way to get vast tracts of land closed to shooting.

rodfac

Tracers can and do start fires.
Once a fire starts.there is no telling how many thousand acres,homes,and businesses will burn.
We shooters face enough bad PR we really don't need the headlines "Fires caused by shooters firing tracer ammunition"
Thats one way to get vast tracts of land closed to shooting.
Plus one! Rod

DaleA

Somebody used to make birdshot with a tracer element in it...

I'm pretty sure I remember watching some trap shooters using this and it was kind of embarassing for some of the shooters to be shown how far off target they were.

That said, seems like it would be a good training visual although I'm not a trap shooter. Does anybody know if it's still around?

Donald duck

Years ago I was surrounded by WW II and Korean War Vets. They all had some military training on the 1911. But not a single one of them could ever remember anyone carrying the 1911 cocked and locked.

Reloadron

Marine Corps boot camp in 1969. We had some training on the 1911A1 as to field strip and reassemble. We also did a Fam (Familiarization) Fire exercise. I went in country as a courier so was issued a 1911. Anyway our main focus was the M14 and when I got to Vietnam we were issued the M16. :)

Today the 1911 remains one of my favorite pistols. I collect the Colt Series 70 guns.

I also enjoy the old training films of yesteryear. Especially the training films on VD. :)

Ron

Donald Duck said:
Years ago I was surrounded by WW II and Korean War Vets. They all had some military training on the 1911. But not a single one of them could ever remember anyone carrying the 1911 cocked and locked.
That's because the U.S. military manual of arms calls for carrying with the hammer down on an empty chamber "unless enemy action is imminent" (or something very close to that in wording), when it calls for chambering a round, leaving the hammer cocked, and engaging the thumb safety.

But in the military, you're generally either "inside the wire" (where enemy action is NOT "imminent"), or you're out on patrol where enemy action IS always imminent, so you would carry cocked and locked.

stinkeypete

Dale, experienced shotgun shooters can see the cloud of pellets. A coach at your side can (does) tell you exactly where you are patterning compared to the target.

I want to watch that excellent movie (yea, that’s a training film!) again. While you might nitpick on minor details (that don’t matter really) I , the fundamental concepts are absolutely correct, clearly outlined and explained.

A man is walking across a field. Someone shoots at him. He DROPS PRONE! Heck yeah! Then return fire. You don’t see that in entertainment.

A friend was on the US Navy pistol team. A bunch of targets were lined up on a carrier and everyone shot at them. An officer hands my friend his target the next day and says “now you’re on the marksmanship team”. He was confused and guesses he shot pretty well compared to a few thousand guys.

ballardw

Military marksmanship is an interesting beast. I remember one year that the 2d Armored Division was represented in an "Infantry Team" match by teams from 1) the Military Intelligence Battalion, 2) the Signal Battalion and 3) the Artillery Battalion.
None of the infantry battalions even fielded a team in the division qualifying match for reasons I could never get clarified.

Donald duck

These guys were all combat vets that saw a lot of battle. Still none of them knew anyone that ever carried their 1911 cocked and locked.

HiBC

I also enjoy watching WW2 training films.

What worked then likely works just as well now.

However, WW2 was + or - 75 years ago.

As with many things,over the course of 75 years, folks can find improved ways that might work a little better.

Donald Duck said:
These guys were all combat vets that saw a lot of battle. Still none of them knew anyone that ever carried their 1911 cocked and locked.
I'm a Vietnam veteran. Grunts in Vietnam (other than tunnel rats and some specialty MOSes) weren't issued pistols and didn't carry pistols. Officers carried them, but during my entire tour of duty in South Vietnam I never knew (and had no interest in asking) how officers carried their sidearms.

pcxxxx42

Nothing particularly wrong with
the film.

OK, you can cite the cup/saucer hold
but that was back then.

But at least it allowed two-hand hold.

The reality is the Army didn't train
much with the 1911 back then.

Knew a fella who went through MP
training. He said his .45 training
consisted of two clips. That's right.
Back then it was clips, no magazines.

Now, when that film was made, it
no doubt was more important how
you laced the puttees. Sloppy
puttees, bad bad soldier.
Cup and saucer. I've never heard of that, but as soon as I read your post I got it.

That military training video was actually pretty well done.