urgent!!! getting a revolver today

HOKIEHUNTER

Help, this may have been asked before but I gotta ask again. I'm goin to get a .357 for my birthday (yesterday, but no one's open on july 4th). I've been struggling very hard between a S&W 686, Ruger gp100 (which I'm really leaning towards), and A Ruger Redhawk. I want a 6" Stainless. Now I'm goin out of town for a while starting next week and would really like to have this gun now and shoot it this week. My problem is that the local gunstore usually has redhawks and S&W, but I've really kinda got my heart set on the gp100. Do I wait a month and go with the GP? is the redhawk a suitable replacement for the GP? I like the feel of the Ruger more than the S&W, but do i go with that?

To qualify this all I just turned 21 yesterday and have been aching to own a handgun for about 2 years now, so i'm about out of patience.

big daddy 9mm

I would

wait and get what you really want because that way you will be happier in the long run. think about the situation from a future stand point. :) :)

sm

You didn't specify as to what you will doing with this purchase. Target, hunting, plinking, learning to shoot, teaching...etc.

I always always suggest one try before they buy. Visit a range that rents guns or ask friends that have different ones if you may shoot them.

Even with our Excellent Search Feature here on TFL and Excellent Reviews such as those by Mr. Stephen Camp : http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/index.html

Only by actually handling and shooting will you know for sure.

Boarhunter

Frankly, all of your options are excellent guns, and I doubt you would be unhappy with any one of them. And who says you can only own a single .357; work hard, save the money, and get one of each!

Boarhunter

HOKIEHUNTER

SM, all of the above. I want a gun mainly for hunting and target shooting / plinking, but I will also use it for defense should the need arise (second to the shotty). I've shot all 3, but i just like the construction / feel of the gp better than the other 2.

boar, right now i'm just a college student and can really only afford one (which is a struggle itself). I just want to make a good decision and pick the best of the 3.

I guess I know how each shoots and like all 3, I'm just thinking long term. Which is gonna be the better gun / most reliable in the long run. Haha and after my .357, a new rifle barrel for my Encore is the next purchase in line followed by a 1911 bottom feeder.

sm

Did you read Mr. Camp's reviews?

Did you peruse Mr. Camp's site? I mean not only are the Pics great - the infomation in text is invaluable, then he gives load testing. A little more reading and Mr. Camp shows his targets - be they paper or critters.

Safe to say Mr. Camp has put a few rds downrange. :)

Personally I am OLDer S&W wheelgun person. I grew up with Smith's for revolvers and Colt's for 1911s. So I am biased and all. :)

Not that I would not turn down another make or model. I tend to prefer the OLDer guns anyway. Metallurgy, craftsmanship, no gun locks and "soul". One of my favorite Rugers is the Security Six and similar med frame wheelguns by Ruger.

marano

Just a suggestion, from someone...

who has been your age at one time, I would get a really good .22 revolver or semiauto you will be able to afford to shoot it a lot more, you will improve your shooting ability and you have years and years to get the bigger guns.

Bullrock

Well, this should be a no brainer! If you want the GP-100 get it. It's a great shooting gun. Since you mentioned SW you're going to get SW pushed at you some, so stick to what you like. If you can't wait a day longer, and most of us gunaholics can't, a Redhawk is a fine revolver, and will serve you well.

Ruger GP-100
Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt
Ruger Security Six .38Spl.
Beretta Stampede .45 Colt
SW 66 4" .357/38Spl.
SW 625jm .45 ACP

HOKIEHUNTER

marano, i have a high standard .22lr and am pretty good with it. It's my dad's and is basically a permanent loaner, i just really want a deer hunting companion, both to hunt deer with and to warn off would be attackers of the 2 and 4 legged variety (had the need several times last season). I can afford to pay for about a box of ammo a week (probably start out with .38 special) until gun season rolls around, and while i would love to shoot 500 rounds / week, that'll get me by. also I just started reloading and have a freind that wants me to reload .357 for him, so he's gonna buy me dies and supplies so I should have that covered nicely as well.

mtnbkr, Central VA / Lynchburg area. I'd love to shoot it again, but like i said i'll be gone in a week and i'm working pretty hard all this week (got a little time in the evengins to shoot).

RevolverLover

Go with what you really want and you will be happy. The GP-100 is a very good revolver and one of my favorites. You won't be sorry with one.

HOKIEHUNTER

well i talked to the dealer. he originally told me (about 2 weeks ago) it would take a week before he'd be able to get a 6" SS GP in, but said one just happened to be included in the shipment he was gettin tomorrow, so by tomorrow evening I will be the proud new owner of my first magnum wheelgun.

mtnbkr

mtnbkr, Central VA / Lynchburg area. I'd love to shoot it again, but like i said i'll be gone in a week and i'm working pretty hard all this week (got a little time in the evengins to shoot).
Gotcha. I won't be in that area again for at least two weeks anyway. I have family in Roanoke.

Chris

Mastrogiacomo

I agree. Get the gun you really want. It's worth the wait and you can always go back for the others that catch your eye. BTW, I love my Rugers, great choice. :)

zzirg

wait and get the gp100 kgp161, I would get the full shroud and get the gun in brushed stainless steel if i were you,I have owned 4 different gp100s and am going to purchase another soon , I love em. :D

3 weelin geezer

The way I see it my gun a 686 has more of a sentimental value than anything because it belonged to my dad. The ruger is not a bad choice and the gp I have no experience with. So, whichever one you buy you can't go wrong if it is for the simple reason of buying it for your birthday. You will always think back to the day you could finally buy a handgun and it is special from all the others you have.