Urban riots possibly increase demand for guns?

The relationship seems plausible. But I've not read any topic about such a possibility.

Have people around MSP, Chicago, LAX, Seattle etc and other urban centers noted a stronger demand in the last 2-3 days? I'm well aware that it's not easy to buy a gun around some of those areas, but we Already know that.

Kreyzhorse

I'd guess that a lot of people who would buy guns due to the riots have already bought them during the China Virus run up.

I wouldn't expect to see a large run up in guns sales right now.

Ricklin

Agreed

I do agree that gun sales in general have been shall we say "active" in recent weeks.
Don't underestimate the potential of what is occurring now tho.

The issue is we won't be seeing the folks that buy guns here, or on any other site where they might gain useful knowledge of their new purchase.

It does feed the used market nicely.

seanc

I second the previous 2 posts.

The new gun owners that have joined the ranks in the past couple months have just had their purchases validated in a big way, although not how they initially thought. I don't think we're going to see many dumping their new-bought firearms at the pawn shop in a couple months like some here were hoping. I think they're going to seek training and hang onto their guns. They may end up thrown in the back of the closet and mostly forgotten, but I'm pretty sure they're not going to pawn them off anytime soon.

Pahoo

It's a reality !!!

The relationship seems plausible. But I've not read any topic about such a possibility.
Oh, it's past the "possibility" stage. ……. :D

Be Safe !!!

HighDesert

Sportsman’s Warehouse bear me had a huge line outside and leading up to the gun counter. They ended up hanging a sign on the door saying no more gun sales today! Next phase is definitely underway around me.

Cirdan

I was talking to a guy who runs an LGS. He said background checks are running 2 - 3 days. Gotten to the point he only wants to sell to CCW holders (no background check required).

Sportsmans Warehouse is pretty denuded of ammo right now. Really expensive match grade .22 and some oddball cartridges.

Brit

The Sherriff of Polk County was on TV last night.
"I tell my citizens to buy guns, be armed at all times. If you think you want to try to break into homes, in Polk County. You will be shot!" Message to rioters.

JT-AR-MG42

My best friend is a dealer- small shop, but with a big word of mouth
following due to his being a really honest guy.
LOTS of new and infrequent (not 'gun people' per se) buyers that have been referred to him.

He has sold about a dozen of his personal handguns (and 6 of mine), after logging them in his books,
to cover the time gap for folks wanting them quickly.
Pump shotguns as well.

His transfers - middle of the week - have all been overnighters for the past week.
The computerized system for BG checks tells him hundreds are ahead of him.

JT

Kevin Rohrer

I was talking to a guy who runs an LGS. He said background checks are running 2 - 3 days.

I keep reading this in the forums, but found it not to be true. I buy several new guns a year (the latest being last week) and have never waited more than 5-minutes for an ok. I do not have a CCW.

DaveBj

I can't speak to the issue of lines at gun stores, but our local sheriff (small town, rural county) had set up a table under a canopy outside to deal with the rush on permits.

D

44 AMP

Staff
Urban riots possibly increase demand for guns?

I think its a bit beyond "possibility", its a verifiable historic fact that when people feel threatened, if they can acquire arms, they acquire arms.

Rioting in the streets leads a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't have a gun to consider getting one, "just in case".

Also leads those of us who are regular gun buyers to get more, while we still can....:D

Those who are well off and essentially neutral about guns, or even anti-gun still want protection, and will hire people with guns to protect them, if they can afford it. If they can't afford paid professionals, they'll buy a gun or two just in case...
And those of us less well off will buy a gun, just in case...too

So, yes, when people are afraid, they arm themselves, if possible. If the barbarians are at the walls, you're going to be waiting in line at the swordsmith's, and may be told, "sorry, we're all out..."

Historical fact, check it out, you'll find it over and over through out history.

buck460XVR

I think its a bit beyond "possibility", its a verifiable historic fact that when people feel threatened, if they can acquire arms, they acquire arms.

Rioting in the streets leads a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't have a gun to consider getting one, "just in case".

Also leads those of us who are regular gun buyers to get more, while we still can....:D

I certainly can understand someone without a viable means to protect themselves going out and trying to buy something, but IMHO, folks with enough guns already, would be foolish to go out now, when stock inventory is at such a low point and prices so high, due to the prior pandemic panic buying. This surge, like the Pandemic one is temporary. It is not a "while we still can" scenario. There is no proposed banning or increased restrictions on the horizon. The future is bright for availability and better prices. I think patience would lend itself to those folks that are thinking with a clear head. Anyone one with a history of gun ownership would by now, one would think, would already be prepared, not only with the appropriate firearms but with sufficient ammo to go with them.

44 AMP

Staff
folks with enough guns already, would be foolish to go out now, when stock inventory is at such a low point and prices so high,

Not so much, really, because you're assuming we're going out to buy what the panic buyers are after, and when it comes to OTHER guns, stocks are high and prices aren't so bad, in some cases, low.

There is no proposed banning or increased restrictions on the horizon.

There are ALWAYS proposed banning and restrictions on the horizon.

What I meant by "while we still can" is "as long as the shops are open". Some places have been shut down by Govt order (and lawsuits are pending) other places have shut down, or limited business by CHOICE, and that's their choice, I'm ok with the shop owner(s) doing that. Today, it doesn't take a gun control law to close a gun shop, for now, at least. One shop I know is by appt. only now. No one goes inside the store. If you order something they will process the paperwork and bring it out to you in the parking lot.

Things like this severely curtail "cruising the used rack" shopping. SO, I think that "while we can" is a valid opinion.

I've got all my needs well covered. It's my wants that I still want to be able to shop for, and my wants aren't the classes of guns the panic buyers are after.

Pahoo: I like your sense of humor!:)

You could have simply told me that it's a dumb question--literally. My skin ain't thin...no not Atoll. Am retired and read AKfiles every day:eek:. Ain't No safe spaces over Thar!!:D

When the Chinese Corolla virus hit, I had anticipated that many thousands of Panick Guns would be sold after about two months.

Just imagine now how long the ammo panic will last. Can't see any deflation of that Zeppelin, aluminum powder or not.....

You know that the very delicate Mods at THR closed a similar topic after about seven remarks??
What are those Ninja Turtles afraid of-----------

Last edited:

Pahoo

Not a dumb question

You could have simply told me that it's a dumb question--literally.
I could never do that and although it may not be communicated, it crosses many of our minds. ….. :)

Be Safe !!!

Brit

As a person who carries a 9mm pistol (Glock 19) every time I leave home. Plus a G17 spare magazine. And have other firearms in my safe, I can not see me having to purchase new guns, why?

For a start off, someone who needs to go out and buy a pistol, for instance? Because they have none?
What kind of training does a person have who has no firearms at all now?

Got my new pistol, load and holster? Oh, yes!
Would not want to be a mailman delivering a parcel to that house.

We have two Grandkids in Folsom CA. 6&7 Irish twins (Born in the same year)
Our Daughter in Law, terrified of guns! Their friends are convinced you must be terrified if you carry a handgun? It is just in case you need one? I say.
My favourite argument, statement.
Do you carry car insurance, so you can have an accident?

A couple of years ago, at a party. The question was asked, of just the men.
Have you ever had a physical fight, as an adult? Only my Wifes youngest and I answered yes. He was born in the West Indies, me in the UK. All the rest born in the USA. No Law Enforcement Officers, past or present were there.
Most of the guests were in the computer fields. Or Government employees.
Well paid people.

zukiphile

buck460 said:
I certainly can understand someone without a viable means to protect themselves going out and trying to buy something, but IMHO, folks with enough guns already, would be foolish to go out now, when stock inventory is at such a low point and prices so high, due to the prior pandemic panic buying.

That seems like good advice, but without the psychology that makes people seek things as they become more expensive and rarer, people with the clarity of thought to buy low and sell high wouldn't have anyone to buy from or sell to.

I've seen price increases and less stock of parts and ammunition for which I casually seek bargains. Would people looking for their first self defense arm shop for a stripped AR upper? Or 22lr ammunition?

I am hoping that there are a couple of other factors at work. First, a ton of nominal dollars has been dumped on people; some of it was bound to find its way into this part of the market. Second, and this guess may be little more than wishful thinking, the virus related closures have fiddled with delivery of goods in other areas. Maybe this has influenced ammunition and arms supply as well. Combine those two and you've the formula for high prices and bare shelves.